Author Topic: Justin Bieber's Overalls  (Read 9603 times)

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Re: Justin Bieber's Overalls
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 11:24:50 AM »
I'm with WillyNilly here.  If Celeine Dion went to see him in the afternoon a fabulous evening gown would be inappropriate but if he went to see her when and where she was performing it should be expected.  This is the same thing, the costuing for the performance is just different.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 11:31:09 AM »
Disaster victims in the hospital know when they are getting visited by officials too - should we jump on them for not getting out of bed and dressed up too?
Uh, okay? ::) I was just clarifying the situation because what the other poster was saying was wrong. I really don't care about this particular situation (although I think your analogy is lacking)...except to say that Justin has some terrible fashion sense in general IMO. But that's hardly an etiquette gaffe, ofc. Justin's said and done a lot of stupid stuff but this doesn't even register.

Well my example is extreme, its just the point, that people dress to their location and their overall day.  Bieber might have known the PM was coming but that was what 15 minutes of his day?  His overall day was performing a pop concert and doing a pop fan meet & greet.  So he's got several hours that require one outfit and 15 minutes that ideally require another, which should he dress for?  Common sense says dress for the several hours not the 15 minutes.

I do agree the outfit is a fashion crime in a general sense though, regardless of the PM's visit or being a pop star.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 11:34:15 AM by WillyNilly »

CakeBeret

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 12:15:51 PM »
Much as I dislike Beiber, his attitude, and his music, I don't think he did anything wrong. He was getting ready for a concert--as he said in his statement, he didn't even have a suit available. The PM dropped in on him pre-concert, and Bieber went directly from a meet-and-greet to the PM. There was neither opportunity nor means for him to change into something more appropriate.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 12:23:08 PM »
Disaster victims in the hospital know when they are getting visited by officials too - should we jump on them for not getting out of bed and dressed up too?
Uh, okay? ::) I was just clarifying the situation because what the other poster was saying was wrong. I really don't care about this particular situation (although I think your analogy is lacking)...except to say that Justin has some terrible fashion sense in general IMO. But that's hardly an etiquette gaffe, ofc. Justin's said and done a lot of stupid stuff but this doesn't even register.

Well my example is extreme, its just the point, that people dress to their location and their overall day.  Bieber might have known the PM was coming but that was what 15 minutes of his day?  His overall day was performing a pop concert and doing a pop fan meet & greet.  So he's got several hours that require one outfit and 15 minutes that ideally require another, which should he dress for?  Common sense says dress for the several hours not the 15 minutes.

I do agree the outfit is a fashion crime in a general sense though, regardless of the PM's visit or being a pop star.

Well, I think fashion crimes are almost obligatory for pop stars.  ;D I'm just remembering some of the hilarious things the NKOTB wore back when I was a wee fan of theirs.

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 12:34:04 PM »
Much as I dislike Beiber, his attitude, and his music, I don't think he did anything wrong. He was getting ready for a concert--as he said in his statement, he didn't even have a suit available. The PM dropped in on him pre-concert, and Bieber went directly from a meet-and-greet to the PM. There was neither opportunity nor means for him to change into something more appropriate.

I agree with this. 
Also, the PM himself has already excused the outfit.

The lack of appropriate clothing is not something that should be blamed on Bieber.  He has a scheduler and a handler whose jobs are to make sure he is appropriately dressed for such occasions.  That he was not given time or opportunity to change is not actually his fault.

This one hardly registered as news for me.

O'Dell

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2012, 12:56:24 PM »
I'm stuck on Justin Bieber winning an award for making a "significant contribution" to Canada. No opinion on the overalls except they are darn comfortable and all those pockets are handy.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

blahblahblah

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2012, 12:57:41 PM »
Well, I think fashion crimes are almost obligatory for pop stars.   ;DI'm just remembering some of the hilarious things the NKOTB wore back when I was a wee fan of theirs.
Pffft. Clearly you do not remember the glory of the boybands of yore.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2012, 04:17:12 PM »
I'm stuck on Justin Bieber winning an award for making a "significant contribution" to Canada. No opinion on the overalls except they are darn comfortable and all those pockets are handy.

That, too.  I'm not even Canadian, and they couldn't come up with another winner?

Kate

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2012, 04:28:07 PM »
I will be the dissenting voice here. Justin knew in advance that he was receiving the award and meeting the Prime Minister, the timing and location is no excuse. I'm sure he could have worn almost ANYTHING to the prior "meet and greet" that would have been more acceptable than those sloppy overalls for subsequently meeting with the PM. Not to mention he could have removed the hat and didn't. Very rude, but manners seem to be out of style these days.
The fact that the PM is  humorously"excusing" him shows that Mr Harper HAS class and manners. I hope Justin learns a lesson from this. The booing of his performance at the Grey Cup game probably had something to do with this although i also think that was bad manners too!

klm75

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2012, 06:29:12 PM »

That, too.  I'm not even Canadian, and they couldn't come up with another winner?

Several people are receiving them (including my husband ;D)

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2012, 06:54:52 PM »

That's wonderful :).  I thought it was a one-person recipient.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2012, 07:02:30 PM »
There are a rather large number of people getting the Jubilee medals.  Many of this past summer's Olympians are getting them, for example.  Some of my coworkers across the province are eligible, depending on how many years they have in.  I'm not eligible.   :)

While I think Justin could have at least changed into some khakis and a button-down, it isn't like he was being presented with this medal in Ottawa in the House of Commons.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2012, 07:42:30 PM »

Congratulations!!!

I trust he is not planning to wear a pop-star outfit? :P
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

klm75

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2012, 09:29:06 PM »

Congratulations!!!

I trust he is not planning to wear a pop-star outfit? :P

Nope, he knows what to wear ;)  It's part of his job.

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2012, 08:18:55 AM »
I didn't see the part of the article that said he was rehearsing - didn't read it all the way through. Still, I have to say I agree with Kate.

He had to know in advance the PM was coming, or his handlers should have. They should have had him change into something more appropriate. That outfit makes him look like an ignorant, uneducated slob. I mean, he couldn't even button the overalls all the way?

I'm so glad my 10 year old DD does not like him or his music and makes faces whenever his name is mentioned. She used to be a fan of Selena Gomez, and when she found out Selena was dating him, said "I just lost all respect for her". Now that they are broken up, I don't know what she thinks but I know she's no longer a Selena fan.

And I have thought that perhaps he did this on purpose to cause publicity and get people talking.
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver