Author Topic: Xmas card--dad in basement  (Read 2123 times)

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
Xmas card--dad in basement
« on: November 27, 2012, 04:08:38 PM »
My cousin and his wife separated a couple years ago. I don't know their current legal status or plans. Last year at this time, my cousin was living in an apartment on his own; I sent him a Christmas card, and I sent a separate one to the kids and their mom, who were still living in the family home.

A few months ago my cousin moved back into the family home and is living in the basement. I gather this was because he couldn't afford to have his own apartment (not necessarily indicating any reconciliation). And I'm wondering what to do about the Christmas card this year.

A couple years ago, when they were still together, I wrote "the Smith family" on the envelope. Then, inside the card, I wrote everyone's first name--"Bob, Betty, Sammy, Susie." I don't really write notes inside the cards so putting people's names on is how I personalize them.

Obviously this family has more to worry about than my Christmas card, but I would like to find a solution that would (likely) cause them the least awkwardness/discomfort possible. One card with all names? Two cards? One card with no names? Other things I haven't thought of yet?
~Lynn2000

CakeEater

Re: Xmas card--dad in basement
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 04:21:52 PM »
I'd suggest two cards. Regardless of location, the family is still living separately.

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 11:53:18 AM »
I second the two card suggestion.

Furthering that, I would add the kids names to both cards. So, one to dad and kids, one to mom and kids.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 11:55:09 AM »
Interesting, thanks for the suggestions. I had initially felt that the two-card solution was the most likely to highlight the family division (thus be the most awkward), so I'm glad for the perspectives otherwise.
~Lynn2000

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 12:23:46 PM »
I'd do two cards, but put the kids on both of them. That might help take the sting out of it.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

DaDancingPsych

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 04:05:56 PM »
I second the two card suggestion.

Furthering that, I would add the kids names to both cards. So, one to dad and kids, one to mom and kids.

I like this solution, too. In the very least, if they have changed their status and are back together then it will be a clue that others are unaware. (It would be their choice whether to inform you are not, though.) And obvious if they are separated, then you are not making any interesting assumptions.