Author Topic: Gave away gift in front of me  (Read 14160 times)

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Gave away gift in front of me
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 06:27:33 PM »
Un-freaking-believable! That is without a doubt the absolute last gift I would give her. Ever.

BarensMom

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 06:28:58 PM »
I would be expecting BF to have a "come to diety" talk with his sister or he'd be an XBF.  That's inexcusable of her and it would be inexcusable of him to let her get away with it.

Kaypeep

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 06:30:02 PM »
I'm equally as stunned that the parents of those 2 little girls let them take the bracelets.  That's too young of an age to have jewelry like that, and just downright inappropriate to take the bracelets even if they were offered. One of the parents should have said "Oh no, the girls are too young to wear those. Besides, you just got them as a gift.  It's not appropriate to pass them to the girls right now."  Seriously, the fact that no one in the family stood up to this and pointed out how wrong it was really floors me.  I hope you don't overextend yourself for any of these people until or unless they do the same for you.  Odds are you'll get similar treatment for your thoughtfulness.

weeblewobble

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 06:31:45 PM »
She wouldn't get so much as a card from me from now on.

Cutenoob

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 06:32:35 PM »
Me reading your post had my jaw drop. Just....no. You..no. I'm sorry you had to see that.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2012, 06:35:42 PM »
I know that once a gift is given, that it is up tho the recipient what to do with it, no strings attached by the giver.
However,
she had wanted a bracelet from this store.  Everyone saw and commented long and loud.  To then pass it off to children, in front of the giver, is rude, ungrateful, and downright mean.

The little girls have learned that if they ooh and awe enough, they can have anything they want.  That is poor parenting. 

OP, you have learned to never give her a gift again.  So, think of all the future money you will save!   >:D
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2012, 06:38:24 PM »
I'm with those who say they'd never give her another gift.

I wonder what the chances are that you'll get a thank-you note.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2012, 06:42:50 PM »
However, she had wanted a bracelet from this store.  Everyone saw and commented long and loud.  To then pass it off to children, in front of the giver, is rude, ungrateful, and downright mean.

And to make the comment that those weren't the specific bracelets that she had asked for anyway, within hearing of the giver! That's the part that killed me!! What a brat.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2012, 06:44:45 PM »
It sounds like we've found another Snake In the Restaurant consensus.

OP, your description of the incident made me think she was 12 instead of 26.  What an entitled brat.   No gifts for her ever again.

doodlemor

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2012, 06:45:25 PM »
Her behavior was malicious and cruel. 

Be sure that your SO is fully supportive of you and your needs, because at age 26 I doubt that baby sister will change for the better.  It sounds like there have been few consequences for her misdeeds in the past, and her family accepts her as she is.

CinnamonGirl

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2012, 06:58:45 PM »
How very rude! I'd never give her a gift again.

Lynn2000

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2012, 07:01:09 PM »
Wow. Yikes. That is really bad. Not only to give away brand-new gifts in full view of the giver, not only to comment that you're giving them away because they "weren't exactly what you wanted," but also to give them away to very young children who can't appreciate them and may actually be hurt by them? (Thinking of small parts/charms or clasps that pinch, for example.) That's just kind of crazy. I'm also surprised that the parents of the children didn't say something to stop it.

The only--only--way I can see it being semi-understandable would be if, as a PP said, there was a culture in the family of always being pressured to give something away to someone else if they admired it. Sister may be so used to this that she just did it automatically without even thinking, and perhaps said something about the bracelets not being what she wanted as a way to tell herself she was "okay" with her much-desired new present being given away. And she's been so brainwashed that she didn't even think to apologize/explain to the OP later.

Okay, I don't really believe that.  :P I think the OP would have picked up on that dynamic or at the very least her BF would have explained it when she told him what happened. Since he said not to get his sister any more presents I'm guessing he doesn't see any excuse for it. No more gifts from me.
~Lynn2000

Auntie Mame

• Live! Live! LIVE!
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2012, 07:11:54 PM »
And that would be the very last gift she ever got from.   Ever.

Seriously, wow, I...wow...

1) You are not crazy 2) She was rude 3) The bright side, you never have to buy a prsent for her again.
Auntie needs fuel, black coffee and a side car.

Amava

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2012, 07:12:36 PM »
You know, I was really glad to see you express that you were angry, several times, in your OP.
You /should/ be. Angry enough to draw your conclusions.
Next time, no gift. Or something from the dollar store!

Bluenomi

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2012, 07:18:43 PM »
I'm equally as stunned that the parents of those 2 little girls let them take the bracelets.  That's too young of an age to have jewelry like that, and just downright inappropriate to take the bracelets even if they were offered. One of the parents should have said "Oh no, the girls are too young to wear those. Besides, you just got them as a gift.  It's not appropriate to pass them to the girls right now."  Seriously, the fact that no one in the family stood up to this and pointed out how wrong it was really floors me.  I hope you don't overextend yourself for any of these people until or unless they do the same for you.  Odds are you'll get similar treatment for your thoughtfulness.

This! No way would I let my 2 1/2 year old keep a $40 bracelet from someone, especially if it was a present they had just be given by someone who was standing there!

I wouldn't be giving sister a present again