Author Topic: I am confessing I snapped at someone - I resigned # 45 update #61 and #121  (Read 28938 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
This is called 'A Volunteer's Prayer'.  My Dad can recite it from memory and does every year at the luncheon thanking all the Meals on Wheels volunteers in his town.  It has a slightly religious overtone but I hope it is OK.  I don't know who to attribute it to.

I thank Thee, Lord as a volunteer
For the chance to serve another year.
And to give of myself in some small way,
To those not blessed as I each day.

My thanks for health and mind and soul,
To aid me ever toward my goal.
For eyes to see the good in all,
A hand to extend before a fall.
for legs to go where the need is great,
Learning to love - forgetting to hate.
For ears to hear and heart to care,
When someone's cross is hard to bear.
A smile to show my affection true,
With energy aplenty - the task to do.

And all I ask, dear Lord, if I may,
Is to serve you better day by day.

A tribute to all the volunteers on this board and off.   :)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Lady Eboshi

• ¡Cuidados! ¡dragones!
  • Chinchilla Squad Leader
Many people think that things are worth what they cost.  Volunteers aren't paid.  Therefore they aren't valued.

This should be framed and hung on every volunteer groups' walls.

POF

Re: I am confessing I snapped at someone - I resigned # 45 update #61 and #121
« Reply #122 on: January 24, 2013, 07:28:25 AM »
I've heard nothing through the grapevine about the situation at my volunteer organization.  I did hear at one point it was going to be brought to tthe board, but I figured that did not happen.

My so called friends never touched base with me at all since it happened and as my DH said ... yiou have to let it go.

Apparently, however - someone sent my resignation letter to the chair committee to another board member. He's the founder of the group and he and I always worked well together. He was completely appalled and called an emergency executive board meeting... I know this because for some reason - I was on the email lists and saw the exchanges.  The whackaloon was very indignant and wrote that there were two sides to every story and that I was not doing a good job and got upset because she corrected me.   I then replied back and said .. Just so you know .. I am on the list, I appreciate the board looking at this .. BUT  I do not understand why it was hidden for 6 months.  I then asked to be off all email lists and that I had moved on etc.

My stomach was in knots when I read the emails - so I am glad that I am just out of the whole thing.  I will find out however through my sources what happens at the executive meeting.  I am sure my character will be torn apart and it will be .. oh she deserved it and we are glad she is gone.

It fries my keister .. that my so called friends did NOTHING about it.  Oh well, glad I found out how false they are.

Modified because I can not use my cell phone ANY MORE to type replies .... sorry for the horrific mistakes.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 08:53:45 AM by POF »

CharlieBraun

« Reply #123 on: January 24, 2013, 07:59:57 AM »
I wish I was near you so I could take you out for a cup of coffee.

You did an extraordinary job under thankless circumstances.  The person who drove you away is too small of soul to realize her shortcomings, and the board (as a collective) too cowed to step up.

Frankly, if those people go on a "POF is so very *whatever*", then I think that speaks for itself.  One is known by the quality of one's enemies.  If good and honorable people hold you in low regard, then it's time for self examination.  But if this group/collective, led about by this small-souled person, hold you in low regard, then please know that it matters little to none.

Thank you for all that you did for this group.  And I dearly wish that all volunteers had the genuine caring strength to do real and positive change which you have exhibited (as opposed to the odd combination of ego boost, pettiness, and cowardice being shown by this group/collective.)
"We ate the pies."

POF

« Reply #124 on: January 24, 2013, 08:52:11 AM »
I wish I was near you so I could take you out for a cup of coffee.

You did an extraordinary job under thankless circumstances.  The person who drove you away is too small of soul to realize her shortcomings, and the board (as a collective) too cowed to step up.

Frankly, if those people go on a "POF is so very *whatever*", then I think that speaks for itself.  One is known by the quality of one's enemies.  If good and honorable people hold you in low regard, then it's time for self examination.  But if this group/collective, led about by this small-souled person, hold you in low regard, then please know that it matters little to none.

Thank you for all that you did for this group.  And I dearly wish that all volunteers had the genuine caring strength to do real and positive change which you have exhibited (as opposed to the odd combination of ego boost, pettiness, and cowardice being shown by this group/collective.)

Thank you,
I live smack dab on the boundaries of two towns.  There is a separate group for the other town that does a similar project.  The president of that group is working on my husband and I to join up with them.  That president is like, once we heard what happened - we were going to call you the next day. I helped them out a few years ago when they had a big problem with some system issues.

You do find out who your friends are.  Good news - I just received a MAJOR promotion at work, for I job I though I might qualify for in 2 years ( when my boss retires ) .  The executives at our large company told me that they wanted to grow me into the position and offered me the job.  I guess I am not so incompetent after all :)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #125 on: January 24, 2013, 09:47:26 AM »
Congratulations!
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Jaelle

« Reply #126 on: January 24, 2013, 10:16:33 AM »
Congratulations!

One is known by the quality of one's enemies.  If good and honorable people hold you in low regard, then it's time for self examination.  But if this group/collective, led about by this small-souled person, hold you in low regard, then please know that it matters little to none.

Wise words. I've held this very principle close when going through some tough times, and it helped bring DH back from the pit of despair when he was let go from his dream job for ridiculous reasons (and so the boss could hire his golfing buddy). 
“She was already learning that if you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so that they don't apply to you.”
― Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

Miss March

« Reply #127 on: January 24, 2013, 10:25:57 AM »
Wow. I can't imagine how you must have felt when that showed up in your in-box after all this time.

How unprofessional for them to mistakenly be cc-ing emails to someone after they have resigned, and how achingly embarrassing for them that these same emails were discussing the resignation of that person! There is egg on their face here.

You, however, rose above. I think you showed a lot of poise here.
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

BarensMom

« Reply #128 on: January 24, 2013, 07:25:28 PM »
POF, don't worry about them trashing your reputation.  The simple fact that the president of the other organization is trying to recruit you speaks volumes.

Frostblooded

« Reply #129 on: January 24, 2013, 08:38:59 PM »
I just want to tell you that I have been in a similar situation in the past few months where so-called "friends" never lifted a finger when a person was saying the most vile, disgusting things you could ever say to another human being right before them. I really found out who my real friends were that day and after the incident.

Here's to hoping we both move on, and can work out those knots in our stomach! To peace.  ;D

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #130 on: January 25, 2013, 09:24:01 AM »
I then replied back and said .. Just so you know .. I am on the list....

Would have loved to be a fly on the wall to see their faces as they realized, "Oh, yeah, she still is...."
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

weeblewobble

« Reply #131 on: January 25, 2013, 11:59:56 AM »
I have a feeling the board will find out just how 'badly POF was messing up the database' in a year or so after other members get a hold of it and make whackaloon's suggested changes.

chibichan

« Reply #132 on: January 25, 2013, 09:07:05 PM »
Congratulations on the promotion POF ! Well deserved I should say .

As for the rest - drop that bag of garbage at the dump where it belongs and drive on . The only thing you should take from this experience is a mighty lesson for your children . There is treatment in life that you do not have to tolerate .
The key to avoiding trouble is to learn to recognize it from a distance.

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #133 on: January 25, 2013, 10:52:47 PM »
POF, I’ve been in a similar scenario, although not as bad.  You contribute your time and effort for a cause you believe in, and you know you’ve done a great job that benefited the cause, but you’re treated like your contribution has no value.

Your DH is right that you’ll have to let it go, but first you need to grieve.  You had to give up something you loved and believed in, in order to protect yourself,  It’s reasonable to feel sad, betrayed, and angry.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

Margo

« Reply #134 on: January 29, 2013, 07:23:22 AM »
Congratulations on your promotion.

It's good to know that someone is finally taking this seriously, such a shame it took so long. It sounds as though you have been very reasonable, and professional, all along. It sounds as though you were right to get out when you did, and I admire you for not letting yourself get dragged back into this mess again.