Author Topic: Why Are You Even Here?!?  (Read 6075 times)

GSNW

Why Are You Even Here?!?
« on: November 28, 2012, 12:49:30 AM »
So glad EHell gave me the perfect response for today!

My department at work is pretty freakin' fabulous, but there is one co-worker (I'll call her Bethany) that is continually negative, whiny, and totally irrational.  For example, Bethany told our admin last year that she is completing her graduate degree in special ed and that she wants to transfer to teaching special ed only.  This year, they filled her schedule with co-teach classes (this is basically a much smaller class with a handful of kids who need special attention/accommodations, along with "non-disabled peers" to fill the rest of the class).  Co-teach classes also come with a special ed teacher to help with giving some of the kids the attention/assistance that they need.  Well, Bethany has been complaining all year.  Example, "I have all the low kids, this is ridiculous, I can't just sit and teach low kids all day."  Uh, wha?

Anyway, this morning we were in a department meeting.  Last night I woke up about 1am with horrible hives on my hands.  It was terribly uncomfortable for a few hours and the red splotches were still visible this morning.  Now, I know exactly what caused them, as I've had them before.  They are not contagious. 

My department chair (Emily) noticed the splotches.  She's great and we're close, so commenting on it wasn't (in my feeling) out of line.  The conversation went like this:

Emily:  Ouch, did you have hives on your hands?
Me:  Yeah, it started last night and kept me awake for awhile, it's very uncomfortable still.
Bethany:  (rolling her eyes and then giving me a suspicious look) So, why are you even HERE?

(Now I admit my impulse was to say, "Because I have a job to do, I hate being out, I hate bailing on my kids even for a really good reason, I know you take three sick days a month BUT I SURE DON'T.") 

Instead I just stared and used, "How kind of you to be concerned."  She didn't remark after that. 

BeagleMommy

Re: Why Are You Even Here?!?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 01:07:31 PM »
Good use of the "How kind of you to take an interest".  Bethany was rude.  If you knew you were not contagious there would have been no reason to stay home unless the hives made you uncomfortable to work.  You, and only you, are the best judge of how you feel and what you are capable of doing.

kudeebee

Re: Why Are You Even Here?!?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 01:30:48 PM »
Good use of the phrase!

For a person who wants to teach special ed kids only, Bethany sure isn't showing that in her words and actions in the co-teach class this year or in her interactions with you!  I sure hope the administration is taking note of this and doesn't let her have her own class!