General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

My work's holiday plans

(1/6) > >>

Cebollita:
I'm kind of upset about this. The Big Boss (BB)of our non-profit is unbelievably cheap. If he doesn't want to spend money, fine. But, he wants to always have these holiday parties for every event, and makes the employees pay for them.  He wants to have his cake and eat it too.

Case in point - he sent an email about the holiday plans. I'm paraphrasing, but "The holiday party will be held on December 17th at 2PM. It will be a potluck lunch with everyone bringing an item. Then, we'll have our gift giving! It's a steal-or exchange game (details omitted for boringness). Everyone is expected to purchase a gift for 10-15 dollars. Blah blah blah"

My beef is - first, it's cheap - how is this a treat for us - commanding us to spend money? None of us earn a lot - but BB does!  There is nothing about it being optional "If you'd like to participate".
AND, he went even further. My Immediate Boss (IB) and the Big Boss clash sometimes (my department is just me and IB). So today,  BB calls IB and says, "By the way - I want BOTH you AND Cebollita at that holiday party. No arguments." (My IM is not very social, but is very good at his job).

Are any of my gripes legit?!

Sharnita:
So this is during work hours which means you can't opt out?

Luci45:
The only legitimate complaint that I see is that you feel forced to participate. Why? Just don't buy a gift, don't take a dish to pass, and if it is on paid time, stay and clean your desk or catch up on filing and computer work.

Don't gripe at the boss or make a big deal. Just tell him, 'No, thank you,' if you feel you need to.

If there is a way to advance in the office.........well, that's another deal and you must make nice-nice and cooperate.

Cebollita:

--- Quote from: Luci45 on November 28, 2012, 08:22:52 PM ---
If there is a way to advance in the office.........well, that's another deal and you must make nice-nice and cooperate.

--- End quote ---

Yep - that's one of the problems - the biggest one. There are things they can make you do legally, and there are things that just mark you out as a 'non-team player', so you must do.  Obviously, I have to do it. But I just think it's unfair and tacky and poor etiquette on his behalf.

LeveeWoman:
It'd be just terrible if you started sneezing and had a  runny and  red nose  somewhere  around 11:00 that morning.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version