Author Topic: Um... a polite bathroom sign? I need help.  (Read 5452 times)

lellah

Um... a polite bathroom sign? I need help.
« on: November 30, 2012, 10:05:58 AM »
Someone keeps spitting chewing tobacco in the urinal at my job.  It's a big mess to deal with, and I've had to call a plumber on more than one occasion.  My boss requests a sign forbidding this action.  I have no idea what to write.  "Please refrain from spitting tobacco in the urinal" is to the point but would be rather eyebrow-raising to some of our more refined clientele.   Anything more euphemistic starts to sound gross quick.  Ideas?

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: Um... a polite bathroom sign? I need help.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 10:11:53 AM »
How about an Email to all employees about this issue?

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 10:12:08 AM »
NOT A TRASH CAN
NOT A SPITTOON

depending on your office dynamic, you can add something like "the plumber is offering us frequent flyer miles" or something like that  :)

lellah

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 10:12:33 AM »
It's not an employee.  It's almost certainly a client, but we literally cannot figure out who it is. 

Sterling

• Oh Stupid Me- Blogs about Things That Drive Me Crazy
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 10:13:17 AM »
How about :"By Request of the plumber: Please use this urinal for the purpose it was designed and do not attempt to flush anything else"
93 93/93

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 10:14:42 AM »
I was going to say that I didn't see anything wrong with what you wrote but then Sterling's reply popped up.  I'd go with that.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 10:24:14 AM »
I like the idea of telling people *why*.

So, I'm going to suggest:

"Spitting tobacco, even juices, into the plumbing fixtures clogs the pipes. Current plumbing bills: $150 + $150. Please don't spit here."

Place it over the urinals AND over the sinks.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 10:31:08 AM »
The "Ladies, please do not flush sanitary products" is widely accepted so I'd go with a twist on that - "Gentlemen, please do not flush tobacco products." You're not singling out the chew user(s) but they'll get the message, too.

Oh Joy

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 11:03:45 AM »
How about :"By Request of the plumber: Please use this urinal for the purpose it was designed and do not attempt to flush anything else"

I'd suggest being more specific.  When I was younger, I knew to not flush sanitary napkins but thought (very wrongly) that other feminine products were supposed to be flushed.  Your offender may not understand that his tobacco is a problem even though it's not bodily waste.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 12:30:10 PM »
JenJay just said exactly what I was thinking.  We females have signs; there's nothing wrong with the guys getting a similar one as well.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 12:40:51 PM »
I think I might post a sign saying something along the lines that the plumber had recently mentioned issue with tobacco products in the urinals causing problems.  I think that if you are too vague people assume that it must be somebody and something else causing the problems.

Lynnv

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 01:24:58 PM »
I think I might post a sign saying something along the lines that the plumber had recently mentioned issue with tobacco products in the urinals causing problems.  I think that if you are too vague people assume that it must be somebody and something else causing the problems.

I would fear that this sign would make me think that someone was flushing cigarette butts or something similar.  It would not occur to me that spit (even icky chewing tobacco spit) would be a problem.  So I do think you have to spell it out, at least a little further than phrase "tobacco products."
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

NyaChan

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 01:38:24 PM »
Why not just be straightforward? -  "Please do not spit chewing tobacco in the urinals."

O'Dell

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 02:30:52 PM »
Why not just be straightforward? -  "Please do not spit chewing tobacco in the urinals."

This. You know exactly what the problem is. Make a sign that addresses it. If it turns out that there are additional problems, you can adjust the sign.

If you do decide to print additional explanation or instructions on the sign, maybe print that in smaller type.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

YummyMummy66

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 03:06:43 PM »
Sterlings' response is great.

I had a plumbing problem and my plumber told me that no matter what a package states, the only thng that is made to be flushed down the toiled besides the waste is toilet paper.  Nothing else should be flushed into the system.