I am putting together "New Year Baskets" as Christmas gifts. I want to include all sorts of things that will bring good luck and fortune in the coming year. I already have some of our local traditions covered but I wanted to include things from all over the world. Each item will have a small card attached, explaining where the tradition is from and how it works. Considering that there is a week between Christmas and New Year, I won't include anything perishable.
So far, I have:
- Sea salt for cleansing and good luck (local)
- Herbal soap to wash away the old energy (local)
- Lentils (this seems to be very common and not place specific)
- Polka dot scarf (Phillipines - the round dots represent money)
- Small bottle of champagne
- Bay leaf (to be kept in the wallet to bring money)
- Some white clothing (for peace in the new year)
Any other ideas? I want to make each basket different, personalized, so I need plenty of ideas. The more unusual and curious, the better.