Author Topic: New Year's traditions, charms and good luck  (Read 2123 times)

Ereine

Re: New Year's traditions, charms and good luck
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2012, 07:36:26 AM »
This is probably not easy to put together but our New Year's tradition is to take tiny horse shoes made of some metal that melts, melt them over a fire (some do it over a hob) and then pour it to a bucket of cold water. The resulting shape is used to predict what the year will be like. The whole thing is probably too difficult/dangerous but even the resulting lump of metal might be interesting? It's sometimes done with sugar too as the metal contains lead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molybdomancy

I want to do this myself, this year! It is easy enough, since I already melt metal on a regular basis and I think it will be fun. No kids will be around, so few safety concerns.

We used to do it as children and it was a lot of fun, I don't think that we were that much concerned with safety though we were careful and there was always an adult supervising us. I haven't done it in years, after I stopped spending New Years at a place with an open fireplace, it's not the same on a stove.

Miss March

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2012, 09:26:47 AM »
"A bayberry candle burned to the socket, brings health to the home and wealth to the pocket."

Maybe include a bayberry stick candle?
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

Linley

• My life is not a democracy, YOU do not get a vote.
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2012, 09:35:07 AM »
Great ideas! Hershey kisses and brooms are certainly in. I am going to look for a peppermint pig locally. If I can't find one, would marzipan do?

I think I am going to vary the legume in each basket (lentil, black eyed peas, beans).

A marzipan pig would be perfect. I hadn't heard about peppermint pigs before but giving out ones made of marzipan is a similar German New Year's tradition, as explained here: http://www.ehow.com/about_5091135_marzipan-pig.html. I used to make pigs to distribute but, unfortunately, almost none of my friends and family like marzipan.

I'm the kid who has this habit of dreaming
Sometimes gets me in trouble too
But the truth is I could no more stop dreaming
Than I could make them all come true.

-Cry, Cry, Cry- "The Kid"

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2012, 11:17:13 AM »
If the people who will receive your baskets would appreciate the joke and, if you can find them, 'Gelt Scheisters' might be a possibility.

These are a somewhat vulgar version of the 'Goose that lays the golden egg'.  They're little marzipan figures of a squatting boy with his pants down and a foil-wrapped chocolate coin in the appropriate place. 

One year, I got one for my Mother and I never heard her laugh so loud or long in her life. 

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2012, 11:43:29 AM »
If the people who will receive your baskets would appreciate the joke and, if you can find them, 'Gelt Scheisters' might be a possibility.

These are a somewhat vulgar version of the 'Goose that lays the golden egg'.  They're little marzipan figures of a squatting boy with his pants down and a foil-wrapped chocolate coin in the appropriate place. 

One year, I got one for my Mother and I never heard her laugh so loud or long in her life. 

Well, maybe not for grandma... I wonder if I can find one!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2012, 02:28:37 PM »
If Grandma was still alive, she would have loved it. 

When my cousins and I were kids, we always had dreams about buying this and that.  Grandma would sigh and say, 'Yes, you'll get that if you can find a Gelt Scheister'.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2012, 03:05:57 PM »
Instead of the grapes, how about raisins?

And I know it's not the same as metal horseshoes, but what about chocolate one? Horseshoes are lucky anyway, even if you don't melt them!

Acadianna

• Remember -- no matter where you go, there you are.
    • My Dragons
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2012, 05:41:53 PM »
A little background:  There is a legend (apparently going back to the Middle Ages) that the people of Sicily prayed to St. Joseph to end a famine there.  Supposedly it then began to rain on March 19, St. Joseph's feast day.  An alternative version says that the famine ended because of a bounty of fava beans, a crop which grows even when others fail.

The grateful Sicilians began a tradition of thanks to St. Joseph on his feast day by creating altars of food to be given away.  Sicilian immigrants brought this tradition of the St. Joseph's altar to New Orleans, where families celebrate it yearly, both in churches as well as in private homes.  The altars are amazing and beautiful accumulations of food -- well worth seeing, if you're ever in New Orleans on March 19. /bg

One of the things traditionally given away to everyone who visits a St. Joseph's altar is the "lucky bean" (a dried fava bean).  Many New Orleanians carry them.  (I did, when I lived there.)  A "lucky bean" would be an easy (and historical!) addition to your basket.

magician5

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2012, 05:51:46 PM »
None, none at all. If I can't watch Guy Lombardo and his Royal Canadians play "Auld Lang Syne" at midnight, I'm not gonna do a thing.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2012, 06:16:37 PM »
Instead of the grapes, how about raisins?

And I know it's not the same as metal horseshoes, but what about chocolate one? Horseshoes are lucky anyway, even if you don't melt them!

So is chocolate, even if you melt it. ;)