Etiquette School is in session! > Complete Silence

I know I should have said something but just couldn't find the words

<< < (5/5)

CrochetFanatic:

--- Quote from: EllenS on March 29, 2013, 01:19:53 PM ---Personally, I see Y saying "if I have to ask for it, I don't want it" as being a flag she is being raised by PA and manipulative people, and it is her way of refusing to play along. 

If she was old enough to have that conversation, she was probably mortified to be put in such a wierd position and was trying to figure out what the boundaries are.  I mean, really.  Can you imagine, as a kid, being taken to pee at the house of a total stranger you've been *told* is related to you? 
 Not knowing if you are welcome or not?

And then aggressively scolded in front of said stranger?  Poor kid, she was probably expecting to stop at a McDonalds or gas station.  Did X even make proper introductions?  Poor Y.

--- End quote ---

This.  Now, don't misunderstand me.  It was rude of Y to do what she did, and it was rude of her grandmother to correct you over the phone.  To be honest, that action made my jaw drop more than Y's did.  On the other hand, it sounds like she (Y) isn't being taught any better and is receiving mixed messages.  "Yeah, we're family.  Hey, get out of that candy dish!"  "What'd I do?"  At that age, I probably would have gotten defensive too.  Her feelings were probably hurt.  That's no excuse, of course.  But if she's not learning about boundaries now, she may be in for a lot of grief later on.

I think your response of complete silence was perfect.  Even if the kids don't know right from wrong, the adults certainly should!

Pen^2:
I agree with what's already been said--silence is deafening enough to someone who listens. Someone who doesn't isn't worth much time.

We can make all kinds of guesses about Y and the whole situation there, but in the end it's not particularly relevant. It only stands that Y was rude for whatever reason, and X tried to explain it away afterwards. X may have been trying to apologise (poorly) or she might have been being snide; either way, the initial response would be the same.

The only other response to X's statement I can think of would be, "what an interesting assumption" or a variation thereupon. But who can possibly be expected to be ready to say something so unexpected and ridiculous.

Or... this really is for only the best actors among, but... I know someone who's brother once said something to her like, "you're my sister, so you have to do *enormous big favour* for me whenever I want," and she just burst into laughter at what he'd said, leaving him dumbstruck. There's nothing like making someone realise how foolish what they've said is to get the point across. But I don't think most people could ever pull this off.

Marbles:

--- Quote from: *new*mommyagain36 on November 30, 2012, 11:40:10 AM ---I mean, what if that had been my Petty Cash Pumpkin instead of a candy dish?

--- End quote ---

LOL
I want a Petty Cash Pumpkin now. :)

I think the only thing I might have said was a snarky "really?"  >:D so I'd say you made a good choice with silence.

ThistleBird:

--- Quote ---Or... this really is for only the best actors among, but... I know someone who's brother once said something to her like, "you're my sister, so you have to do *enormous big favour* for me whenever I want," and she just burst into laughter at what he'd said, leaving him dumbstruck. There's nothing like making someone realise how foolish what they've said is to get the point across. But I don't think most people could ever pull this off.
--- End quote ---

Sometimes it happens naturally and spontaneously. Those are the best moments.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version