Author Topic: When your boss lives on another planet  (Read 4934 times)

scarlett

When your boss lives on another planet
« on: November 30, 2012, 12:49:08 PM »
I work in an office (trying to be vague here) and we are having some cash flow issues. As in- vendors are on hold, employees checks are bouncing, general mismanagment issues. I got an e-mail from the bosses' wife saying they were wondering if we wanted to have the staff Christmas party at Che Swanky? Mind you- we don't have enough money for the postage meter but we have enough for a catered party?

The mind boggles!

The staff collectively voted to not have a party and would just wish they paid their bills and employees on time. How to convey this to Boss and wife (who is also the bookkeeper and knows the money situation)?

MrTango

Re: When your boss lives on another planet
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 01:21:43 PM »
I would send a reply stating that a company-hosted christsmas "seems to be an inappropriate expenditure given that the company is apparently struggling to meet its payroll obligations".

Direct =/= rude.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 01:52:31 PM »
I would send a reply stating that a company-hosted christsmas "seems to be an inappropriate expenditure given that the company is apparently struggling to meet its payroll obligations".

Direct =/= rude.

POD

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 02:18:05 PM »
If the boss is not the owner, I would bring this issue up to his higher ups.

YummyMummy66

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 03:10:15 PM »
I love Mr. Tango's response.

I might also reply along the lines of somehow letting them know that the employees have no desire to attend any Christmas function until the company can afford to pay them on time without their chiecks bouncing. 

I think that they might get the hint when no one shows up to their fancy, schmancy Christmas party.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 03:22:43 PM »
I agree with Mr. Tango.  Just the facts, Ma'am.  Simple.  Polite.  To the point.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 03:42:50 PM »
POD to Mr. Tango.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 04:17:41 PM »
I cannot think of a single polite thing to say, because if I were an employee there, I would be screaming: "This is obscene!"
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 04:41:47 PM »
Are you sure that the company is paying for the Christmas party? Maybe once you get there you would discover that it is everyone pay for themselves.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 04:54:12 PM »
Are you sure that the company is paying for the Christmas party? Maybe once you get there you would discover that it is everyone pay for themselves.

And the employees also maybe pay for the bosses too!   :-\

DavidH

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 05:38:02 PM »
I think you can say that you think it would be inappropriate to spend a lot of the company's money on the Christmas party given the current financial situation and it will send the wrong message to employees.  I'd then see what they say.  If they disagree, then you are kind of stuck.  If they agree or say, but we'd like to do something, then you can brainstorm other ideas.  If they say it was to be financed by the employees, then you can say that with all the uncertainty and bounced checks, you think people would rather save their money. 

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 05:58:37 PM »
Perhaps the true purpose of the party is to get everyone together at once so the boss can announce that the company is going bankrupt.   >:D
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

Brisvegasgal

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 06:22:27 PM »
I'm guessing that the wife of your boss doesn't know the business is in trouble.  But I agree with the others and use MrTango's response.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 11:26:16 PM »

Direct =/= rude.

POD

I see many implied PODs in responses above. When I read the opening post I actually gasped, and MrTango's response made think, "Oh! How gracious and to the point!"

I'm guessing that the wife of your boss doesn't know the business is in trouble.  But I agree with the others and use MrTango's response.

This is interesting, too.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 06:44:33 AM »

Direct =/= rude.
another POD and make it from "the entire staff"

I wouldn't put it past them to have *the staff* pay thier own way.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools