Author Topic: Now I have a question about ham in the crockpot.  (Read 910 times)

MOM21SON

Now I have a question about ham in the crockpot.
« on: November 30, 2012, 06:45:37 PM »
Thanks for your tips regarding the pork roast.  Shoo, next time I have a plain one I am going to try the apple juice.

If anyone wants to try it, it was a hormel BBQ rubbed roast and it was divine.

So today I got a ham and 2 large cans of crushed pineapple.  Yay or nay?

We are just so busy at this time of year, I need to reduce stress and meals is a huge stress!

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: Now I have a question about ham in the crockpot.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 07:23:06 PM »
What kind of ham is it? Canned ham? Ham on a bone? Pre-cooked? Smoked? Raw?

eta: (sorry, hit post before this question) Do you plan on putting the ham in the crock pot in the morning cooking all-day (8hrs) for dinner at night?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 07:27:35 PM by jpcher »

MOM21SON

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 07:27:02 PM »
What kind of ham is it? Canned ham? Ham on a bone? Pre-cooked? Smoked? Raw?

It's a bone in ham.  That shrink wrapped kind.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 07:43:51 PM »
Hmmmm. I love ham. But I never thought about cooking it in a crock-pot before. So I got curious and did me some research on this wonderful thing called the internet. ;D

I'm really like this idea. I'm going to have to try it. Thanks for asking this question.

One site I found:

http://somethingsweetsomethingsalty.wordpress.com/2012/01/26/fall-off-the-bone-crock-pot-ham/ 

talks about the different cuts of bone-in.

I'm betting you could add the pineapple juice while cooking during the day and then add the fruit to warm when you get home from work before serving.

Like I said, I've never done this before, but it sounds delich!

MOM21SON

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 07:58:16 PM »
I have cooked it in the oven with pineapple before.  You have never tasted anything so good!  lol.

I am hoping to get 3 meals out of the ham, but may not happen.  With the leftovers, I will make ham and beans in the crockpot and hopefully if enough leftovers, split pea soup.

Thanks for the link.  I will coat it with crushed pineapple/brown sugar.  CRUD MONKEYS!, my mouth is watering!

BarensMom

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 10:53:30 AM »
I have cooked it in the oven with pineapple before.  You have never tasted anything so good!  lol.

I am hoping to get 3 meals out of the ham, but may not happen.  With the leftovers, I will make ham and beans in the crockpot and hopefully if enough leftovers, split pea soup.

Thanks for the link.  I will coat it with crushed pineapple/brown sugar.  CRUD MONKEYS!, my mouth is watering!

It sounds like you have my mother's recipe.  She would take a lousy canned ham, use pineapple slices and brown sugar and cook it until turned into a divine combination of sweet and savory.