Author Topic: Baby Sprinkle  (Read 773 times)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
Baby Sprinkle
« on: December 03, 2012, 12:58:56 PM »
I just learned in another thread that a baby sprinkle is an abbreviated (?) shower for someone who already has children.
I know people frown on giving a shower for a child when the mother to be already has a child or children.  So, does this new term mean it is now acceptable in terms of etiquette, to give showers for additional children?  (I always thought it should be up to the group doing it to determine if it is OK, so am glad to hear about sprinkles).
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
Re: Baby Sprinkle
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 01:32:06 PM »
Threaedjack, but when I first heard that term Baby Sprinkle (Which I also never heard of)  I immeadiately thought of two things, a baby boy peeing or a picture I saw recently.  For those two reasons, I hope I never see that term in an invitation!  I much rather see, "She is having her second baby!  We are hosting a small..." Something that is upfront about it and not coy.

HermioneGranger

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 02:22:37 PM »
I think that most people would be happy to buy a pack of diapers and/or a small gift without the cutesiness of calling it a "sprinkle".  I don't believe in showers for second children, because the parent(s) should theoretically already have everything, but still think that every baby deserves to be celebrated in their own right. 

jmarvellous

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 02:49:59 PM »
I had heard it before (here, I think, and maybe in an advice column), and not to put too fine a point on it, but I hate it!

It hits two of my huge buttons: gross and cutesy. A tough combination!

Have a small party, sure. But you really don't need a name for it.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 03:10:41 PM »
I think it is a bit on the cutesy side, too, but if that's what it's called I guess at least people will know what you are talking about.  I prefer a 'welcome baby' idea.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 03:18:43 PM »
Threaedjack, but when I first heard that term Baby Sprinkle (Which I also never heard of)  I immeadiately thought of two things, a baby boy peeing or a picture I saw recently.  For those two reasons, I hope I never see that term in an invitation!  I much rather see, "She is having her second baby!  We are hosting a small..." Something that is upfront about it and not coy.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 03:35:22 PM »
I hate it. It's cutesy and it just seems like a lame attempt to pretend not to be having a shower while still having a shower. Yes, it's technically poor etiquette to have a shower for a 2nd or subsequent baby, but it's not a crime and plenty of people do it. If you want to do it, fine. But own it. And there's no need to have a cutesy term that means a small shower. Just call it a small shower and/or request small gifts.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 05:28:46 PM »
An abbreviated shower is still a shower.

And I've always wondered, what do they leave out to make it a "sprinkle" and not a "shower?" The food, the games? I suspect that in many cases, it's called a "sprinkle" but is really a shower.

The only thing I think of when I hear "baby sprinkle" is what happens when you aren't prepared when changing a baby boy's diaper. Not something I'd want to be invited to.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 06:09:53 PM »
I've been invited to a sprinkle. The mom-to-be made it clear that presents were not expected, but she got some anyway (starting out family, so we knew there were things they needed to make their lives easier). It was more along the lines of a 'Welcome Baby' party - there were games, food, and a general party atmosphere. The term may be cutesy, but it was a nice time to give some attention to Second Baby and the mom.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 06:16:51 PM »
An abbreviated shower is still a shower.

And I've always wondered, what do they leave out to make it a "sprinkle" and not a "shower?" The food, the games? I suspect that in many cases, it's called a "sprinkle" but is really a shower.

The only thing I think of when I hear "baby sprinkle" is what happens when you aren't prepared when changing a baby boy's diaper. Not something I'd want to be invited to.

I guess there's just a "sprinkling" of presents as opposed to a "shower" of them.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."