Author Topic: Suggestions for children's books  (Read 1186 times)

Linley

• My life is not a democracy, YOU do not get a vote.
Suggestions for children's books
« on: November 30, 2012, 07:32:03 PM »
One of my co-workers is collecting donations of new children's books for children at a nearby hospital and I thought I would go out this weekend and buy a few to give her. Since I know nothing about children's books these days, I am hoping I can tap your collective wisdom.

The request is for books for children up to 9 years old and I would prefer to buy for the upper end of the age range; that would be more fun for me and I have the impression that lots of people like to buy for the little ones so books for older kids may be more needed.

Any suggestions?

I'm the kid who has this habit of dreaming
Sometimes gets me in trouble too
But the truth is I could no more stop dreaming
Than I could make them all come true.

-Cry, Cry, Cry- "The Kid"

GratefulMaria

Re: Suggestions for children's books
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 07:39:04 PM »
At that age, mine loved anything by Avi.  Also the Artemis Fowl books.  And Hermux books http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hermux_Tantamoq_Adventures are enchanting!

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 07:45:42 PM »
I don't know about current books, but I recently found a copy of Emily's Runaway Imagination by Beverly Cleary and remembered how much I loved it.  I was surprised how much I still enjoyed it upon re-reading it.

Another one of my favorites at that age was All Of A Kind Family and read it over and over until it fell apart. 

I think kids still enjoy reading about "olden times."

kelly_jeanie

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 08:14:10 PM »
Safe books for elementary kids are Magic Tree House and the Wimpy Kid series, those get checked out over and over again in our elementary library.  Otherwise my son just finished the Hobbit and with the movie coming out this winter that might be a good choice.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 08:22:34 PM »

MummySweet

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 08:22:40 PM »
Some popular titles for that age range age range (8-9 year olds, 3-4 graders) are:

Diary of Wimpy Kid novels (a new one, The Third Wheel, just came out; more boy focused)
The Dork Diaries (more girl focused)
The 39 Clues series
The "Origami" Star Wars series (Strange Case of the Origami Yoda, etc.)

The above are all chapter books, but you might also consider books like  The Essential Pokemon Handbook, or the Lego Character Encyclopedias (Star Wars, Ninjago, Super Heroes).  The books are colorful and have lots of fun "facts", and don't require the commitment or time that a longer chapter book does.   They are even fun to just look through when you don't feel like reading.

The DK encyclopedia series is also popular.  Volumes focused on everything from ballet to weather to favorite animals with great full color photographs and interesting information.

Kids around this age also love cartoon collections.  Our school library can't keep Garfield, Calvin and Hobbs, Family Circle, Peanuts Collections, etc. on the shelves.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 08:24:08 PM »
I've bumped the thread up for you to make it easier.

However, may I suggest the best book EVER for a child - or adult?  "The Wizard of Oz", of course! :D

Firecat

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 12:41:57 AM »
Susan Cooper has a lot of good books for children, but I particularly recommend her The Dark is Rising sequence.

Also Harriet the Spy, although I don't remember who wrote that one. The Beverly Cleary books are always good. And the Betsy series (I believe the author's last name is Lovelace).

Besides the Judy Blume books suggested in the other thread, Blubber is another good one.

How to Eat Fried Worms

snowdragon

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 01:45:08 AM »
The Dear America Series is wonderful. I love it.

Also the American Girls are fun too.

Encyclopedia Brown is making a come back in my nephew's school

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 01:55:19 AM »
I love Encyclopedia Brown! It's coming back?! I may need to go to the library tomorrow. :)

Rohanna

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 02:11:42 AM »
The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.
The Borrowers.
Anne of Green Gables.
Swallows and Amazons.
Harry Potter.
The Secret Garden and A Little Princess.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Arrynne

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 02:12:54 AM »
Monsters Eat Whiny Children.  It's adorable.

snowdragon

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 11:01:24 AM »
I love Encyclopedia Brown! It's coming back?! I may need to go to the library tomorrow. :)

Every boy in my  nephew's grade claims to have read them.  It may be local,  but I doubt it.

sourwolf

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 11:44:24 AM »
These aren't all strictly for 9 year olds, but they are all chapter books.

The Ramona books by Beverly Cleary.
The Percy Jackson books by Rick Riordan.
The Matt Christopher books - each book is about a kid's involvement in a sport ie, basketball, baseball, hockey.
The Wayside School books by Louis Sachar.
D'aulaire's Book of Greek Myths by Ingri d'Aulaire - I loved stories of the Greek Gods and Goddesses when I was in elementary school.
Any of the Roald Dahl books.

Betelnut

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 02:07:26 PM »
For younger kids: Any picture or early reader by Mo Willems.  He is really funny.
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently