Author Topic: Latex mattresses?  (Read 1733 times)

HorseFreak

Latex mattresses?
« on: November 30, 2012, 09:05:52 PM »
Anyone here have a natural latex mattress? I'm in the market for a new bed and I'm thinking that a natural latex mattress would be a really good thing for me. I fall asleep on my side/stomach (really halfway in between) and I always wake up flat on my back. I've had pillowtop and regular innerspring mattresses all my life and have been really unhappy with how they sag after only a couple years. My back isn't in great shape and I have a very physically demanding job.

I'd ideally like a queen size, probably a medium firmness 6" Dunlop with 2" Talalay top. I've looked at both Habitat and Plush Beds and it's looking like that will cost me around $2000. I've heard the latex mattresses in general hold up for much longer so that makes me feel a little better about the price, but it's still a chunk of change to drop!

Any thoughts or experiences?

EmmaJ.

Re: Latex mattresses?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 09:25:28 PM »
I don't have a latex mattress, but just wanted to put in a good word for Sleep Number mattresses.  I've had mine for five or six years now and still dearly love it.

It's perfect for me as sometimes I want a firm surface to sleep on, other nights I might want a soft and cuddley bed.

Here is their link if you want to check it out:  http://www.sleepnumber.com

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 09:39:05 PM »
I'm not sure what a latex bed is.  Is that what they call Temperpedic or is that something altogether different?

I'm very interested in this thread because we also are planning to get a new mattress right after Christmas and I have no idea what kind to get.

HorseFreak

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 09:45:59 PM »
I'm not sure what a latex bed is.  Is that what they call Temperpedic or is that something altogether different?

I'm very interested in this thread because we also are planning to get a new mattress right after Christmas and I have no idea what kind to get.

Tempur-Pedic is a synthetic memory foam, while the best latex beds are made out of pure natural latex. Sleeplikethedead.com has fantastic unbiased information including reviews of various companies and explains the differences and general customer satisfaction for each type of bed.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 09:50:39 PM »
^^^  Thank you!

buvezdevin

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 10:26:38 PM »
I had been researching mattresses for at least the past year, knowing we would soon be replacing a king sized - which we just recently did.

Natural latex gets lots of points from many folks/reviews for many reasons, though it is pricey and just as with coil mattresses, quality varies among makers and models.  For me and DH, who had slept on a variety of beds through travel as well as our own previous buying experience, I found that the one point which decided us against latex is the heat retention/breathability factor.  I've gone to sleep on latex (mainly manufactured, not natural) feeling blissfully comfortable - but wake up two or three hours later feeling overheated as the mattress has stored body heat and become uncomfortably warm to me.  At least some reviews mention similar tendencies with natural latex, which was enough for me to decide to give it a pass.

I know that Tempupedic and other memory foam, and natural latex mattress makers have been recently introducing models which have small holes purposely in the foal/latex to address the heat retention/breathability, but those have not been around long enough to be much reviewed, and I wonder if the longevity or resistance to developing dips would be impacted.

All that said, here is a link in favor of latex mattresses, with some helpful comments and other links - may have something of interest.  And best wishes finding the perfect mattress for you!
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/a-case-for-buying-a-latex-mattress-168399
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

HorseFreak

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 11:12:35 PM »
I had been researching mattresses for at least the past year, knowing we would soon be replacing a king sized - which we just recently did.

Natural latex gets lots of points from many folks/reviews for many reasons, though it is pricey and just as with coil mattresses, quality varies among makers and models.  For me and DH, who had slept on a variety of beds through travel as well as our own previous buying experience, I found that the one point which decided us against latex is the heat retention/breathability factor.  I've gone to sleep on latex (mainly manufactured, not natural) feeling blissfully comfortable - but wake up two or three hours later feeling overheated as the mattress has stored body heat and become uncomfortably warm to me.  At least some reviews mention similar tendencies with natural latex, which was enough for me to decide to give it a pass.

I know that Tempupedic and other memory foam, and natural latex mattress makers have been recently introducing models which have small holes purposely in the foal/latex to address the heat retention/breathability, but those have not been around long enough to be much reviewed, and I wonder if the longevity or resistance to developing dips would be impacted.

All that said, here is a link in favor of latex mattresses, with some helpful comments and other links - may have something of interest.  And best wishes finding the perfect mattress for you!
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/a-case-for-buying-a-latex-mattress-168399

The sleeping hot part actually doesn't bother me since I look forward all year to being able to break out the electric blankets. :) As long as the room is a reasonable temperature I'm fine. I guess I just need to justify the cost to myself once for all. It's come to a head right now since I'll be moving a three weeks and I'm not thrilled about moving (and later disposing of) a 10 year old mattress that makes my back hurt when I could just have my new bed shipped right to my new place. If it was half the price I wouldn't even blink.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 10:12:11 AM »
I shopped and tried out all kinds including the Sleep Number which I hated.  (and I laid on the deluxe model)  I also slept on a tempure pedic bed at a friend's house with disastrous results.  What I liked best about the all latex (not part/topper etc) was that it was soft but supported me fully.  Stayed cool and is a dream to sleep on.  I have had mine now for about 5 years?  I freaking LOVE it.  I also got latex pillows to go with it.  I highly recommend it.  But be careful, alot of manufacturers are calling it latex mattress and it's only part latex.  You want an all latex/memory form core mattress.  No springs, no wood etc.  It's all latex with a memory form core.  My mattress is about 10 inches thick.  And I believe talay if I remember correctly.  I bought mine online after alot of research as there weren't any full latex mattresses locally to me at that time.

ETA:  I just read the one that said it was hot.  That's strange to me as one of the features of latex is the moisture wick and staying cool all night.  I wonder if it's the type of latex?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 10:14:52 AM by Zilla »

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 01:42:42 PM »
I just got a latex mattress this summer and I love it.  I am not a naturally hot person, so I don't have any problems with sleeping hot.  My ex who is naturally very hot got a latex mattress and sleeping next to him could be very uncomfortable.

I love the fact that it conforms to your body.  I couldn't afford a Tempur-pedic at the time I got my mattress but the one I have is fantastic.  Also know that latex matrresses have different levels of hardness just like coils do.  Make sure you test several.  Most local mattress stores  in the US offer a 30 day trial, so if the mattress doesn't work out you can return or exchange it.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 05:55:28 PM »
I love my solid latex mattress.  It's the second one I've had (first went with the ex in the split), same manufacturer (a now defunct Aussie brand) but totally different. 

The original one was about 12" deep with a topper.  Fabulous mattress all up - exceedingly comfortable, and for the first time in forever I never woke up with an aching back.  It did retain heat though.

The current one is only about 6" deep, and unfortunately about 6" too small lengthwise for the bed base.  It's comfortable, no aches and pains the next morning, and yes, it also retains heat.  Not that I mind, it gets a bit chilly down here in the southern reaches of Tasmania.

The manufacturer recommends turning the mattress (not flipping) every couple of years, ie head to bottom. 

One thing to be aware of, they are heavy.  Very, very heavy.  Turning them is a two person job.  I've managed to do mine on my own with lots of pulling, dragging, and bellyaching - well, the dog did help by laying on it while I was trying to turn it, but she wasn't really much help.

They also need a firm base, such as slats or similar, to avoid too much sag. 

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 06:34:12 PM »
We have a Simmons Natural Care latex mattress and I love it. I've had back problems my whole life and this is literally the only bed I've slept consistently comfortably in. We've had it for about 4 years and it still feels great to me.

DH has noticed a little bit of a dip in his side but I'm pretty sure that's just in the topper and doesn't affect the structure of the bed (he's a muscular guy and weighs between 185 - 200lbs at any given time, I weigh 135-140 and haven't noticed anything on my side). I've read that there's really no way to prevent that in any of the no-flip mattresses, even the sleep-number beds recommend you fully inflate them when not in use if you're bothered by it.

He runs hot and I run cold (I've been known to use an electric blanket in the summer. lol) and we're both comfortable as long as I've got an extra blanket(s) on my side.

I remember that it was a bit expensive but nowhere near the temper-pedic or sleep number beds. We tried a knock-off sleep number and ended up returning it because it was awful.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 04:22:47 AM »

My bed in my camper is a latex mattress. I love it. It is more comfortable than the mattress on my bed at home. They're not for everyone; Gish doesn't like it. I like it so much. It's all squishy and supportive at the same time no matter how much i toss and turn.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 11:00:55 AM »
Reviving this thread as I'm currently looking at latex mattresses.

Zilla and Patry Goddess, would you mind sharing which brands you purchased? 

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 12:56:59 PM »
I got a Vivon Memory Foam Mattress from Mattress Discounters

HorseFreak

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 02:35:44 PM »
I ended up with a Sleep EZ Natural 10000 mattress in Talalay blend S/M/F. I got most of my information from this forum and a 5% discount for being a member: http://www.themattressunderground.com/mattress-forum/general-mattresses.html

My full post including a 2 week update is under DrButterscotch. I really couldn't be happier with the pricing, service or quality. I would definitely stay away from the "big" brands as their quality isn't really great compared to the price.