Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

Question: Opening presents first at your baby shower...Does this look greedy?

<< < (2/3) > >>

gramma dishes:

--- Quote from: rigs32 on December 01, 2012, 11:38:04 AM ---As long as mom realizes that no one wants to spend 80% of the shower time watching her open gifts, you're good.

I attended a bridal shower last year that was torturous.  The bride took 2.5 hours to open gifts.  She even took a break to go smoke in the middle because, hey, we have until 3PM.  Whereas we were all just wishing we had an excuse to leave.

--- End quote ---

Maybe you should all have suddenly taken up smoking so you'd have to leave too!   >:D

TootsNYC:
I have the same instinct as you--but I also know that waiting can make the shower take a LONG time if there are very many guests.

If you're nominally in charge, I suggest you try to get the food STARTED about 2 minutes before the present opening, so that people can nosh in some way (hospitality offered to them!) while the presents are being opened.

sparksals:
Food and refreshments should be available from the time guests arrive.  I would think it odd to be sitting for a couple hours watching the gift opening without anything to eat.

LadyR:
Food should be available as soon as gueats arrive and as long as guests can eat as they open presents, I don't see any issues.

As for timing, your sister is around 30 weeks? My shower was at 32 weeks, i was not comfortable having it much later than that, partially because I knew I'd get uncomfortable and cranky s my due date got cloaer, plus risk of early labour. Add in Christmas season and January blahs and the timing makes perfect sense.

Hmmmmm:
I think most showers I've attended have the same progression.

Guests arrive and visit and nibble on the food for a half hour after start time
Presents are opened and guests wander back and forth to food buffet or drinks as the gifts are opened if it is a long time.
Cake is served
Games are played by those interested are those not have a good opportunity to leave.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version