Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

Help! I need to use up a TON of oatmeal!

(1/10) > >>

CakeBeret:
Recently I was given about 30 cups of oats that have reached their use-by date. They are not the instant kind, just your regular run-of-the-mill oats. I can use some if it, but I need help using it all up!

I'm planning on making pumpkin cheesecake baked oatmeal with some of it. The only problem is that we are not big breakfast eaters so we'll have to work hard to eat it before it expires.

I'm also thinking of making no-bake oatmeal cookies, but I think those use quick oats, so I don't know if that's a possibility.

I do use ground oats in my face cleansing routine, but it's a minimal amount. If I grind more oats, can I store them in the freezer to preserve them longer?

Tips? Recipes?

cicero:
If you have room in your freezer - just stick the whole bag in your freezer. I would look over them first to moake sure there are no bugs in there, but if i'ts basically clean, you should have no problem with it.

other than that - you can use them in baking (usually interchangeable with instant oats, or grind them in the food processor first), you can make baked oatmeal, cookies, etc

CakeBeret:
There are 3 bags. I think I could fit one in the freezer, but not all three.

camlan:
There's probably nothing wrong with using the oatmeal for a few months after it's use-by date. It doesn't suddenly go bad. It's just that there may be a slight drop in quality after a given period of time. It's still safe to eat, but the texture or taste may change a tiny bit.

I'd freeze what you can--I think oatmeal is good for a year in the freezer.

Then I'd explore baked goods--breads, muffins, cookies. If nothing else, you can take them to work and share with your co-workers.

And if you can't store it and you can't eat it up fast enough, you can always give some away.

Iris:
You can make Anzac biscuits and pretend you are Australian  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version