Author Topic: Help! I need to use up a TON of oatmeal!  (Read 3859 times)

CakeBeret

Help! I need to use up a TON of oatmeal!
« on: December 01, 2012, 03:26:00 PM »
Recently I was given about 30 cups of oats that have reached their use-by date. They are not the instant kind, just your regular run-of-the-mill oats. I can use some if it, but I need help using it all up!

I'm planning on making pumpkin cheesecake baked oatmeal with some of it. The only problem is that we are not big breakfast eaters so we'll have to work hard to eat it before it expires.

I'm also thinking of making no-bake oatmeal cookies, but I think those use quick oats, so I don't know if that's a possibility.

I do use ground oats in my face cleansing routine, but it's a minimal amount. If I grind more oats, can I store them in the freezer to preserve them longer?

Tips? Recipes?
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: Help! I need to use up a TON of oatmeal!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 03:30:38 PM »
If you have room in your freezer - just stick the whole bag in your freezer. I would look over them first to moake sure there are no bugs in there, but if i'ts basically clean, you should have no problem with it.

other than that - you can use them in baking (usually interchangeable with instant oats, or grind them in the food processor first), you can make baked oatmeal, cookies, etc

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

CakeBeret

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 03:31:24 PM »
There are 3 bags. I think I could fit one in the freezer, but not all three.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 03:38:08 PM »
There's probably nothing wrong with using the oatmeal for a few months after it's use-by date. It doesn't suddenly go bad. It's just that there may be a slight drop in quality after a given period of time. It's still safe to eat, but the texture or taste may change a tiny bit.

I'd freeze what you can--I think oatmeal is good for a year in the freezer.

Then I'd explore baked goods--breads, muffins, cookies. If nothing else, you can take them to work and share with your co-workers.

And if you can't store it and you can't eat it up fast enough, you can always give some away.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Iris

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 03:41:43 PM »
You can make Anzac biscuits and pretend you are Australian  :)
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

shygirl

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 04:54:32 PM »
Whoa!  Pumpkin cheesecake baked oatmeal??  I'm going to need that recipe, asap.

If I had a lot of oats to use up, I would probably make oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 05:03:45 PM »
put one bag in the freezer if possible and then convert the rest into cookie dough logs :)

CakeBeret

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 05:08:37 PM »
Whoa!  Pumpkin cheesecake baked oatmeal??  I'm going to need that recipe, asap.

If I had a lot of oats to use up, I would probably make oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.

It's going to be experimental. :) I'm using a pumpkin oatmeal recipe and adding/subbing in cream cheese.

Thanks for the tips. I have one 10-cup bag in the freezer but I can't fit the others in there. I'm thinking about making some individual servings of breakfast oatmeal and taking them to work, storing them in the freezer there. And I do believe cookies are in order :)

zainabzks

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 05:13:52 PM »
Donate to charity if it hasn't reached his expiration date.

Or make lots and lots of oatmeal cookies and drop them off at a hospital or woman's shelter.
Personally, I would just eat the oats because oats don't go bad on the exact date listed.

WestAussieGirl

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 05:17:37 PM »
I use rolled oats (what we call oatmeal) as a thickener for casseroles etc. as it is much healthier than flour.  If it is going in the slow cooker I just throw in about a half to one cup as-is.  It breaks down completely during the cooking, leaving a nice thick sauce.  If it is something that cooks quicker I grind the oats first.  This works for soups too.

I also use oats for making apple crumble crust (yum!) and I use them in place of bread crumbs to make a coating for fish or chicken (flour, then egg the fish then dip in a mix of slightly crushed oats combined with your choice of herbs and or spices.  For fish I do oats with lemon and parsley. Pan fry.).

They are also great for bulking up rissoles (meatballs) or hamburger patties.  It makes the meat go further, helps them to bind, and makes them a bit healthier.  I use about 3 quarters of a cup to 500g meat (sorry don't know what that is in American). 

shygirl

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 05:22:38 PM »
You could keep some as a rash/poison ivy remedy.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

crella

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 05:23:39 PM »
Oatmeal bread is a good way to use some.

Edit: I've been looking for my bread machine oatmeal bread recipe and can't lay my hand on it. I think I left it behind when I went to the US this summer, I only had one copy and took it to make it for a friend. It has molasses in it and uses a couple of cups of oatmeal. You might find a recipe online, I'm sorry I couldn't find mine for you.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 06:04:46 PM by crella »

Nibsey

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 05:53:13 PM »
I can't remember what they're called in America but what about Flapjacks(not the pancakes)
These things:
http://britishfood.about.com/od/eorecipes/r/flapjack.htm

Or Bannock

http://bakingforbritain.blogspot.ie/2006/06/oatmeal-bannock-scones-part-1.html

Or Skirlie mash
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1933/skirlie-mash

Scotland uses oats in their traditional food so maybe take a look at some traditional Scottish food.
“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams
Éire (Ireland)

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 05:59:37 PM »
http://www.easy-aromatherapy-recipes.com/oatmeal-bath-recipe.html

Froofy bath Christmas gifts! If you are afraid of the edibility of the expired oatmeal ;D
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-