News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 20, 2017, 08:47:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Why do people find it so hard to get rid of "stuff".  (Read 20139 times)

lowspark

Re: Why do people find it so hard to get rid of "stuff".
« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2012, 10:51:43 AM »
Have you seen that commercial where the wife is having a garage sale and the husband comes along and pulls out the most useless, ugly, absurd stuff and says he's keeping it and how could she think of getting rid of these things. It's a commercial for storage units. So this guy is going to pay $$$/month (I have no idea how much those storage units cost but it sure is money out the window!) to store a bunch of garbage that he can't bear to part with but will probably never look at again. Hey it's the American way!

What kills me is how blatantly this is all articulated in the ad. They don't even pretend that what he's storing is useful or will somehow become useful in the future. Those people need a reality check, huh. But ya gotta figure, if they're putting it in a commercial like that, it's probably true in thousands of households across the country and these people are raking in the bucks!
Houston 
Texas 
USA 

RegionMom

• ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2012, 10:59:44 AM »
A storage unit is where I draw the line.

We already keep our vehicles in the driveway and store the "junk" in the garage.  I am not paying to store my stuff!  (Any more than I am already)
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Amara

« Reply #92 on: December 18, 2012, 01:09:14 PM »
Quick off-topic comment:

You know, from an entrepreneurial standpoint storage units are brilliant. Get cheap land; build inexpensive units that don't require much if any maintenance; advertise a little around your neighborhood that people no longer have to get rid of their stuff, that they can store it, and you have yourself a nice business going. Especially because once you get someone to make the initial move you have them almost for life, hopefully renting bigger and bigger units as their stuff accumulates.

Back to topic now.

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #93 on: December 18, 2012, 01:29:55 PM »
Amara—we have a friend who did just that. His goal was to target people from the college down the road that needed somewhat temporary storage (students over the summer, faculty who are on sabbatical and renting out their homes, etc). He started running into issues with that goal when he began getting longer and longer term renters, and wasn’t expecting it!

Amara

« Reply #94 on: December 18, 2012, 01:46:05 PM »
Ha!

bopper

« Reply #95 on: December 18, 2012, 06:19:35 PM »
My DH hoards the boxes things come in, just in case we have to return it.  They're in the closets and out in the garage, where if I shift something, they come tumbling down.  His reasoning is "I may have to return something" or "we'll need those when we move" (yeah, in 7 years!).  He also will not flatten them, as it will "destroy the integrity."  By the time he is ready to use those boxes, they'll have been nibbled to bits by the field mice that get in there from time to time.

Recently, I discovered a 6' Xmas tree that I would love to have.  My DH doesn't want it because we have nowhere to put it.  I told him, "Get rid of your boxes and we'll have room."

We were box keepers too....and when we moved the movers only wanted to use their wrappings and boxes!

bopper

« Reply #96 on: December 18, 2012, 06:44:01 PM »
As I mentioned earlier, it is easy for me to get rid of things with few exceptions. This morning, for example, I took a lot of magazines, about sixty or seventy pounds worth (maybe more)--Elle Decor, Metropolitan Home, and Architectural Digest--to the recycling center.

It is now much better. And it will all fit in its designated place. I am sorry I couldn't keep my promise to her but I am thoroughly unwilling to make my home into a storage unit. I was so relieved to get them all out of my car this morning. And I suspect that people who enjoy going through the magazine recycling bin at the center will relieve them of quite a few. So they will undoubtedly be treasured. Just by more than one person.

Whatever you told her, it made her happy to think her magazines were going to a good home.   You have done a good thing helping them get them out of her house.

Adelaide

« Reply #97 on: December 18, 2012, 07:56:05 PM »
I am becoming much better at getting rid of stuff. I moved out here in my car (with my mother taking up a seat) and basically had to take everything I wanted to keep with me. I had to box most of the rest up at home. There are some things, like my great-grandmother's pearls, my photo album, and perhaps my childhood stuffed animal, that I would strongly defend but...I'm quickly learning that it can be freeing to not cling too tightly to "stuff".

My dad is into what he calls "organized hoarding". He is very meticulous about stacking stuff (often in its original packing) and has pegboards and hangers for them. His storage shed (at home) looks like a store, the way everything's displayed. I personally don't see a problem with that though, as long as space/cleanliness isn't an issue.

Lynn2000

« Reply #98 on: December 19, 2012, 09:48:58 AM »
My dad is into what he calls "organized hoarding". He is very meticulous about stacking stuff (often in its original packing) and has pegboards and hangers for them. His storage shed (at home) looks like a store, the way everything's displayed. I personally don't see a problem with that though, as long as space/cleanliness isn't an issue.

Yes, I have some relatives like this who have a lot of "stuff," but they keep it organized and stored in good condition. They like to buy and sell things online and at garage sales, etc., and tend to buy more than they sell. I think they "just haven't gotten around" to selling things, rather than they're compulsively keeping things because it scares them to think about letting them go. As long as the other people sharing the house don't mind the space they're taking up, I don't see a problem with this type, either, though of course not everyone would want to live that way.
~Lynn2000

Reader

« Reply #99 on: December 19, 2012, 02:31:52 PM »
In my case right now it's an issue of time and available resources.  I'm in the process of trying to get rid of extra clothes, plus stuff abandoned by a previous renter.  I normally have a few choices to do so, donate to local charity, use my local free exchange, or use a free listing on craigslist.  I've tried joining freecycle over 3 times without success or I would use that as well.  There was supposed to be a free exchange this month but was cancelled, so I have to wait until the next one so I'll probably end up with more than the 4 boxes I already have on my porch.  Took 3 calls to local charities before I could get a pick on furniture that was too heavy for me to drop off and needed to be picked up.  2 Saturdays later and at least that's gone.  The weather is too wet to leave anything outside for free pickup using a craigslist ad, and with two jobs the only free time I have when places are open is Saturday, as most charity places are closed on Sundays.  Makes for conflict of time when I have to schedule appointments for Saturday for vet visits, oil changes, etc. 

By the way that reminds me, I should grab another box from work to take home lol.

Twik

« Reply #100 on: December 19, 2012, 02:37:52 PM »
I'm quickly learning that it can be freeing to not cling too tightly to "stuff".

I think that's very true.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."