Author Topic: picking on my aunt on Facebook  (Read 4002 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
picking on my aunt on Facebook
« on: December 01, 2012, 06:29:46 PM »
Facebook has changed its filtering settings yet again, and suddenly games I have previously blocked are showing up.

So my aunt has posted something about, "please change whatever setting so that you do NOT send me requests for your games--I want to use Facebook to keep in touch with people, and I don't really care if you need another trough for your barnyard or whatever. But do please keep sending me news and comments and photos."

And her sister, the other aunt, chimed in to say, "me too--especially photos!"

So my sis and I were talking about this, and we've decided we're going to start a new "game" and call if Lifeville. We'll write posts that look like Farmville or Cityville requests ("TootsNYC is playing Lifeville, the newest interactive game on Facebook. She needs a Recent Snapshot to complete her Family & Friends Scrapbook. If you send her one, you'll get a prize back!")

And the prize will be a post that says something like, "Thanks for sending TootsNYC a Recent Snapshot for her Family & Friends Scrapbook in Lifeville. here's your prize: a Virtual Hug!"

Today I took a pic of my son doing whatever he was doing at the time (playing XBox) and put it on my sis's wall with one of those, "Toots has sent you a Recent Snapshot--use it to complete your...."

We're going to do it back and forth to ourselves first, and then loop her in. Think she'll get it?

Luci45

• Super Hero!
Re: picking on my aunt on Facebook
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 07:26:16 PM »
Why? It sounds kind of hurtful to me.

If I found that someone was messing with my brain and wasting my time like that, and trying to make a fool of me, I would be pretty upset.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you are trying to do. I hope so!

HyenaInPetticoats

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 07:38:10 PM »

That seems a bit mean.

People get to use Facebook the way they want to use it, it seems rather manipulative to do something like that.

I use Facebook for fun and escapism, it would upset me if someone was try to sneakily trying me some hidden message.

penelope2017

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 07:48:33 PM »
So I guess I'm confused. What is your point in doing this? It is a complicated plot  simply to as your subject says, pick oon your aunt? Why? Because she doesn't like facebook game activity? Same games you also blocked?

Since I don't get it, I'm going to say no she won't get it. Not sure what 'it' even is.

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 07:51:43 PM »
I also have games blocked.  I don't like them clogging up my newsfeed. 

Unfortunately, if someone started doing that to me, they'd find themselves accidentally blocked, too.  I probably wouldn't get the joke and would just turn off notifications without paying much attention to whether I was turning off notifications from the person or a game.  If all I ever get from someone is gamespam, they end up either defriended or blocked from my newsfeed (as in, we're still friends, I just don't see their activity).

I think what you're planning on doing is a little hurtful and not funny.  Sorry. :(

AustenFan

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 07:56:38 PM »
Purposely antagonizing someone? NOT cool.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 07:57:48 PM »
Toots, you're not one of my long-lost family members, are you? This is something that my siblings (and the paternal side of the family) would do!

I think that seeing you and your sister playing this game for a week or two, your aunts would want to play too!!  ;D

Allyson

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 09:07:22 PM »
I think it's a funny idea, but I probably wouldn't get it if I hadn't been let it on the joke. I tend to just skim over anything that looks like a game request. They don't bother me to the point of needing to post them but I doubt I'd notice what you were doing! If I did get let in on the joke I'd definitely participate though!

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 09:43:20 PM »
It sounds like something fun to plan and talk about with a friend about someone who's frustrating you, but very rude to put into practice. It's not rude or mean or bad not to want a bunch of games requests on FB. I block those myself. She asked you politely and made it clear that she IS interested in your life. I don't see any reason to do this except to be mean.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 09:47:22 PM »
If I understand correctly, Toots and Sis will not actually be playing the stupid Facebook games that send out requests to all and sundry.  What they are trying to do is keep in touch with the aunts and honor their requests for keeping in touch with family.

I think instead of sending the "game" request to your aunts, you should send a reward for something they post first and then start asking for family pics and updates to keep it going and introduce the game
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

SoCalVal

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 10:00:25 PM »
Why? It sounds kind of hurtful to me.

If I found that someone was messing with my brain and wasting my time like that, and trying to make a fool of me, I would be pretty upset.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you are trying to do. I hope so!

Pod.  It sounds like a PA way of trying to get your point across.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 10:01:01 PM »
It sounds like something fun to plan and talk about with a friend about someone who's frustrating you, but very rude to put into practice. It's not rude or mean or bad not to want a bunch of games requests on FB. I block those myself. She asked you politely and made it clear that she IS interested in your life. I don't see any reason to do this except to be mean.

Yeah, it's like how when I used to work at Taco Bell, I used to jokingly plot that on my last day, I'd have a bunch of bags printed that said "It's late. Go home!" instead of the actual slogan "It's late. Eat more." and see how long it took the drunks to notice. But I never did it. It was just one of those silly things you daydream about.  >:D

Van down by the river

• This must be what going mad feels like.
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 10:15:52 PM »
I agree with PP. this seems very obnoxious and PA to me. I don't think you should do it. It might cause hurt feelings and or cause you to be accidentally blocked.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 10:25:19 PM »
I know this isn't really the point, but I would just send aunt the instructions to block all the games (which works much better than asking people not to send you requests as a lot of those requests are automated).

Whether I played that game with my sister  after sending aunt the info would depend on whether I thought aunt would find it funny. That is much too personal to determine from the interwebs. Some people (me) would find it hilarous. My aunt with no sense of humour would not.

CaptainObvious

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 11:04:51 PM »
This is very PA, and I don't believe that antagonizing people is polite at all.