Author Topic: best way to give away baby formula?  (Read 1631 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
best way to give away baby formula?
« on: December 01, 2012, 09:01:49 PM »
Bittybartfast decided she doesn't like formula anymore, so I've got several tubs of infant formula.  (Silly me, I though stocking up when it was on a really good sale was a smart thing!  ::))  Anyway, two of the tubs are opened and have a little bit used.  I tried listing the whole lot on Freecycle, but apparently it counts as a food item and I can't post it there.  Craigslist also has rules against posting opened food items.  Any suggestions for how I could go about giving this formula to someone who would use it?  I totally understand it being a bit weird to get an opened tub of anything from a stranger, but this is $70 or so worth of formula powder (plus the unopened tubs) and I hate to just throw it out!  Short of just walking into the nearest church office and saying "here, give this to someone," I'm drawing a blank  :-\

guihong

• Super Hero!
Re: best way to give away baby formula?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 09:23:17 PM »
Unfortunately, I think the opened ones are done for :(.  Is it powdered, or actual formula already made up?

I would try battered women's shelters (the police department will know where they are and how to donate).

Maggie

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 09:29:18 PM »
I would offer the unopened cans on Craigslist and then when someone asked about it I would tell them there are two that have been opened that are available too.  If they want it they can have it and if they don't (which is understandable) I would probably just toss it.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 09:40:47 PM »
Try the Catholic Charities of your local state.  I work with My sisters Place here in Baltimore and they will accept those types of items

doodlemor

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 10:21:59 PM »
Maybe you could get a word of mouth thing going with your friends.  Perhaps a friend of a friend of a friend to the nth degree who needs this stuff will hear about it.

NyaChan

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 10:31:12 PM »
Honestly, I would toss the opened ones.  Just imagine the trouble if a baby got sick after using it (even if you know it is unrelated). Plus, I can see why people would be hesitant to feed their baby from an already opened tin.  Why tempt fate?

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 10:35:07 PM »
Maybe you could get a word of mouth thing going with your friends.  Perhaps a friend of a friend of a friend to the nth degree who needs this stuff will hear about it.

Are you part of a Mother's Group?  Since people stop bfing at different times and switch to formula, it may be that someone in your group would really appreciate the extra formula and since they know you personally might even be happy to have the opened containers.

If not, I'd go with Guihong's suggestion and see if battered women's shelters (or a similar charity type group as suggested by PastryGoddess) might be able to use them. 

Rohanna

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 10:50:00 PM »
Can you mix the open formula into baby cereal, if she is on solids?
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Kaypeep

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 11:15:46 PM »
I'd give up on trying to find someplace to take it.  Seriously.  Who is going to take any opened food product and feed it to their baby?  It's simply not going to happen.  The only luck you might have is a friend who knows and trusts you.  But honestly I'd take the loss and just trash it instead of jumping through hoops to find strangers to take it.  It's not worth the risk.

Arrynne

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 01:51:51 AM »
You can't sell it on Craigslist either. I've had a listing pulled. I ended up donating to my home health vendor as it was specialty formula, but I've donated to women's shelters and the homeless shelter before.

kckgirl

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 09:23:29 AM »

This sounds like a good idea.
Maryland

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 10:30:31 AM »

This sounds like a good idea.

Tried that - she won't take it either  :-\  I think I'm going to go with offering the unopened stuff and just privately asking whoever comes to pick it up if they want the opened cans too.  If not, I guess I'll have to toss them.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 10:41:25 AM »
Too bad you don't live near me, I'd totally take it.  :)  Although somehow I doubt I'd be able to use it all before it expired.  But yeah, I agree with the others, I'd focus on finding somebody for the unopened containers, and then ask them in passing if they'd be interested in the opened containers as well.  If not, then just toss it, painful as it may be.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 10:38:25 AM »
We've had the same dilemma with expensive, extremely specialized medical supplies. I hope you come  up with a good solution - I need to find one for the stuff I have!

Rohanna

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 10:42:34 AM »
I had that problem with medication. I got a needlestick at work (everything turned out fine, that heavens!), but the pharmacy accidentally doubled my script. If you're paying for antivirals out of pocket I know they are *expensive*. I finally ended up having to drive across the border to find a charity group that would take them, since there weren't any medication donation groups in my town- but I couldn't bring myself to toss out almost a thousand dollars in medication.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.