Author Topic: best way to give away baby formula?  (Read 1674 times)

Lovemykids

• Formerly known as Lovemygirls
Re: best way to give away baby formula?
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 02:27:51 PM »
If she goes to a daycare, maybe post a note on their bulletin board to let other parents know you have it?  Or, your local mom's group.  My neighborhood has a very well-developed parents' group with its own Facebook page, etc., and we all know each other well enough that if someone posted the cans on the page, another parent would feel comfortable taking it . . .

Lynnv

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 03:11:40 PM »
If you attend church anywhere, you might try asking if they could post it in the bulletin or posting in in the Sunday School or nursery (depending on where they take little ones). 

Our church posted some rather expensive special diet dog food in the bulletin for some folks, and it got snapped up by someone who had a dog with the same condition, even though one bag was opened.  The owners knew each other well enough to trust that it wasn't tampered with.  But the original owners just had to find a way to find out who they knew that would be able to use the stuff. 

I think you are in the same position-if you could figure out who you know who could use it, you could give it away.  It is just a matter of finding that contact point.
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 05:14:09 PM »
Well as it turns out, I had someone from Freecycle come to pick up something else yesterday.  I asked if by chance she knew someone who would want some infant formula and she said she'd love to pass it on to her sister who just had twins (yikes!) and had just found out she's not producing enough to breastfeed both.  When I got all the formula together it ended up being 3 unopened tubs, 2 slightly opened ones, and about a dozen cans of ready-mixed liquid.  So much for saving money, but I'm glad it's going to get used!  I told her if her sister was uncomfortable with the two that were opened that's fine, but the rest were still sealed so hopefully she'll get some use out of them.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 06:58:53 PM »
Well as it turns out, I had someone from Freecycle come to pick up something else yesterday.  I asked if by chance she knew someone who would want some infant formula and she said she'd love to pass it on to her sister who just had twins (yikes!) and had just found out she's not producing enough to breastfeed both.  When I got all the formula together it ended up being 3 unopened tubs, 2 slightly opened ones, and about a dozen cans of ready-mixed liquid.  So much for saving money, but I'm glad it's going to get used!  I told her if her sister was uncomfortable with the two that were opened that's fine, but the rest were still sealed so hopefully she'll get some use out of them.

Happy sigh!

I'm so glad you found someone that could use (needs!) the formula.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 07:55:33 PM »
Our town has a homeless shelter that's run by my church, and they also sponsor a local elementary school where most of the students are from families below the poverty level.  If you know of anything like that near you, the formula (the unused ones anyway) would be appreciated at shelters of any sort, or for families with children in need.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata