Author Topic: When a dog won't stop barking...  (Read 5668 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: When a dog won't stop barking...
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2012, 09:20:51 AM »
A couple years ago, anytime I went out into the garden to work, the neighbour's yappy dog would bark its fool head off.  Didn't stop me from gardening.  Well, it did, when I couldn't take it any more.

As long as LB's dog isn't adding to the noise, she's fine to leave it outside.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2012, 09:27:07 AM »
I've got a neighbor whose son won't stop barking.  I struggle with how to deal with it, because it seriously interferes with my enjoyment of my front (and back sometimes) yard.

He's 22 years old, with some kind of mental disability.  He stands out in his front yard and barks for hours on end.  I'm pretty sure he's just bored and trying to entertain himself.  I don't know his parents, but have been tempted to knock on their door.

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2012, 09:56:32 AM »
It is perfectly fine for her to leave her dog outside as long as it is not barking too much.  LB is not responsible for what her neighbor's dog does.

Even though she could potentially get the neighbor's dog to stop barking (and thus annoying everyone) by bringing hers inside?  I realize it isn't her responsibility to stop the other dog barking, but she can lessen the burden on other neighbors by bringing her dog inside (even though I don't think she should have to).  I think I may, again, be confusing nice with polite.

Turn it around. Is it fair to her dog that it can't be outside just because the other dog is misbehaving? If it were people, should I avoid my yard because it makes my neighbor start playing opera music (hypothetically)?
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2012, 04:34:35 PM »
It is perfectly fine for her to leave her dog outside as long as it is not barking too much.  LB is not responsible for what her neighbor's dog does.

Even though she could potentially get the neighbor's dog to stop barking (and thus annoying everyone) by bringing hers inside?  I realize it isn't her responsibility to stop the other dog barking, but she can lessen the burden on other neighbors by bringing her dog inside (even though I don't think she should have to).  I think I may, again, be confusing nice with polite.

Turn it around. Is it fair to her dog that it can't be outside just because the other dog is misbehaving? If it were people, should I avoid my yard because it makes my neighbor start playing opera music (hypothetically)?

I fully agree with you. I just wanted make sure I (and she) was covering all the bases. She doesn't want her other neighbors to hate her.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

BowHuntress

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2012, 08:09:37 PM »
We also have a non stop barking dog in our neighborhood, usually my 3 dogs don't return the bark. If I could figure out which house it is I would say something. However I have not been able to, I usually reach the end of my rope when we go to bed and wake up because that dog is barking.

In my opinion, it is perfectly fine for your friend to call in a complaint. In my city they will send out a nice animal office (during their daytime/evening shifts) to talk to the owner. I have also called and said just send an officer out, I have no idea what house but tell them to stand at the corner and they will hear the dog.

We are also very aware of when our dogs bark. I go outside see what they are barking at and either a) give them a scolding- which stops them for long enough that I know they have done their outside duties or b) bring them in.