General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

When someone's inability to understand holds up a meeting

<< < (3/3)

artk2002:

--- Quote from: bopper on December 05, 2012, 11:43:02 AM ---
--- Quote from: artk2002 on December 02, 2012, 02:05:31 AM ---Now, can you help me figure out to how to keep my cool when someone says "why are we doing/not doing X? There are very good reasons why this is the wrong path." I wouldn't mind, except that he does it 3-6 months after we've made the decision and he said nothing when the decision was first made. Yes, it's the same person.
--- End quote ---

I work in software and you are either a key person to the process or you are not.  If you are a key person, then you have to approve the requirements for the software.  If don't agree, then we work it out until you do.  Then you are saying you commit to building this software to these specs.  But if you are not a key person and say something at the end about the software, most likely we will ignore you because this is not your project.  We would say that we have baselined these requirements and gotten customer concurrence and this is what we are doing and that if they were interested they should have provided comments earlier in the process.  Also it is good to document the decisions you made so if they said "Why are you going down this path" you can show where you considered other paths but chose this one based on various reasons.

However, if someone did that alot and actually had good ideas, we would start including that person as a key person and made sure s/he signed off earlier on.

--- End quote ---

Oh, he is a key person. Who just hand-waves his approval at the time and then raises the issues when he actually has to deal with the results. Next to me, he's the most key person we have.

blue2000:

--- Quote from: artk2002 on December 05, 2012, 09:20:13 PM ---
--- Quote from: bopper on December 05, 2012, 11:43:02 AM ---
--- Quote from: artk2002 on December 02, 2012, 02:05:31 AM ---Now, can you help me figure out to how to keep my cool when someone says "why are we doing/not doing X? There are very good reasons why this is the wrong path." I wouldn't mind, except that he does it 3-6 months after we've made the decision and he said nothing when the decision was first made. Yes, it's the same person.
--- End quote ---

I work in software and you are either a key person to the process or you are not.  If you are a key person, then you have to approve the requirements for the software.  If don't agree, then we work it out until you do.  Then you are saying you commit to building this software to these specs.  But if you are not a key person and say something at the end about the software, most likely we will ignore you because this is not your project.  We would say that we have baselined these requirements and gotten customer concurrence and this is what we are doing and that if they were interested they should have provided comments earlier in the process.  Also it is good to document the decisions you made so if they said "Why are you going down this path" you can show where you considered other paths but chose this one based on various reasons.

However, if someone did that alot and actually had good ideas, we would start including that person as a key person and made sure s/he signed off earlier on.

--- End quote ---

Oh, he is a key person. Who just hand-waves his approval at the time and then raises the issues when he actually has to deal with the results. Next to me, he's the most key person we have.

--- End quote ---

If he has to approve it and then disapproves later, I would go with "Then why did you say you agreed with this earlier?". Let him explain to the whole group why he is not paying attention. It might make him think twice about what he says next time.

bopper:
The other think we do after a software release has gone out is have a "Key Learnings" session.  We talk about what went right and we should do more of, and what didn't go so well and we should change.  We pick some items and have a Quaility improvement plan for those.  Perhaps you should suggest having a "post mortem"  or "key learnings" and bring up the fact that "getting comments at a late stage in the game is putting in quality at the end and not the beginning"

CookieChica:

--- Quote from: Hillia on December 02, 2012, 01:53:04 PM ---In my office, the code for this is 'Let's take this offline'...in other words, you and I can meet separately to discuss this, but right now we're dropping it and moving on.

--- End quote ---

Wonder if we work for the same company because that's what is said where I work, no matter what department it is.

YummyMummy66:
Does he need to understand how these other things work? Are they in any way affiliated with the work he does or needs to do?

If not, I would stop explaining.

"Greg, this really does not affect the work you do anyway.  We cannot keep explaining this and we now need to move on in this meeting".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version