Author Topic: Baked potato toppings  (Read 2665 times)

Deetee

• Super Hero!
Re: Baked potato toppings
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 09:32:58 AM »
Chopped fresh herbs make any make it yourself meal extra tasty. Chives and paresly are staples but I often use thyme and cilantro as well due to the fact one grows in my herb pot and the other is cheap.

A few types of cheese is extra tasty too.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 10:29:13 AM »
I think you have a nice variety of toppings.... enough options for people who want to stay meat free or add some meat.

I would second the suggestion of having a variety of cheeses... a sharp cheddar, swiss, and a jalepeno monterey jack. 

Make sure to have lots of salt and pepper shakers available.
Let your butter come to close to room temperature so it melts quicker and doesn't cool off your potatoes.
You can also set out the sour cream and cheese to let them warm up a little so they are not ice cold when adding to the potatoes.

A favorite of our swim team wass frito pie baked potatoes.  They'd top their potatoe with the chili and few fritos, cheddar cheese and maybe sour cream and onions. 

POF

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 07:47:17 PM »
Chives

And I've never tasted it but I forsee bacon and ranch being awsome.

Maybe hardboiled egg like to make warm potato salad.

That is an awesome idea !!!!!

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 08:03:50 PM »
DH and I are hosting a casual party for some friends and some family the weekend before Christmas. We decided to do a build-your-own baked potato bar. I'm very excited about it!

We're having about 10-12 people, so I'm thinking I'll get 2 dozen potatoes. Or should I make more?

These are the toppings we'll serve:
Butter
Sour cream
Green onions
Bacon bits
Shredded cheese
Broccoli
Chopped mushrooms
Chopped ham

I'm also going to make chili in the crockpot that people can pour over their potato or eat on its own. We'll have a veggie tray for everyone to snack on, corn muffins and Christmas cookies and cocoa for dessert.

Am I missing anything major? Any awesome potato toppings that you've heard of?

I think you're good as you are with the addition of a tossed salad.

I know you have a veggie tray, but a lettuce-type salad? Is pretty much a  must for me with a heavy-protein/carb meal. It's the lighter side of the meal that I can fill up on. (But that's just me.)

Other suggestions:

The bacon bits? Please say that that's fresh chopped bacon bits and not the processed Bac-O's.

I really don't think that you need additional meats because you have the chili.

The suggestion of a variety of cheese is good (maybe a pepper-jack cheese for some spice to go with the chili)

Mushrooms -- fresh chopped are delisch. How about sauteing some with onions, garlic and maybe some peppers?

Kaypeep

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 09:20:55 PM »
Malt Vinegar  (it's not just for french fries!)  :)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 10:25:33 PM »
Olive oil and lemon juice, to simulate Greek lemon potatoes.

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 03:56:37 AM »

I like shredded tasty cheese and canned pineapple pieces on my potatoes.
Stewart/Colbert '16

POF

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 07:50:10 AM »
I love baked potatoes and I particulary love all the ideas.

OP - bet you are glad we are all not invited !  Your set up sounds wonderful and very yummy.
Something for everyone and it fits the holiday warming foods season.

Let me know when and where and I'll stop by with my pet snake and 10 if my closest friends.... oh wait .... thread bleed  :o  LOL

POF

Dorrie78

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 11:20:52 AM »
DH and I are hosting a casual party for some friends and some family the weekend before Christmas. We decided to do a build-your-own baked potato bar. I'm very excited about it!

We're having about 10-12 people, so I'm thinking I'll get 2 dozen potatoes. Or should I make more?

These are the toppings we'll serve:
Butter
Sour cream
Green onions
Bacon bits
Shredded cheese
Broccoli
Chopped mushrooms
Chopped ham

I'm also going to make chili in the crockpot that people can pour over their potato or eat on its own. We'll have a veggie tray for everyone to snack on, corn muffins and Christmas cookies and cocoa for dessert.

Am I missing anything major? Any awesome potato toppings that you've heard of?

I think you're good as you are with the addition of a tossed salad.

I know you have a veggie tray, but a lettuce-type salad? Is pretty much a  must for me with a heavy-protein/carb meal. It's the lighter side of the meal that I can fill up on. (But that's just me.)

Other suggestions:

The bacon bits? Please say that that's fresh chopped bacon bits and not the processed Bac-O's.

I really don't think that you need additional meats because you have the chili.

The suggestion of a variety of cheese is good (maybe a pepper-jack cheese for some spice to go with the chili)

Mushrooms -- fresh chopped are delisch. How about sauteing some with onions, garlic and maybe some peppers?
Just want to jump in and agree with this post - obviously everyone has a unique way to top a baked potato and you can't cater to every individual taste. I think you original list of toppings is sufficient and you don't really need to add any other toppings (unless you want to!). I do agree that adding a tossed salad with some dressing choices would complete this meal very nicely.

Mikayla

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2012, 05:29:55 PM »
This may be too close to your chili, but I was at a sports bar a couple weeks ago and they served all sorts of baked potatoes.  I had barbecued beef (sort of like Sloppy Joe), red onions and melted cheddar, with sour cream and chives on the side.

It was so good it hurt!

They also had pizza potatoes, with pepperoni, green pepper, pizza sauce and mozzarella.

I think your idea is great and should be lots of fun. 

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2012, 08:58:49 PM »
I cube avocado and put it on top.
Or, black beans and cheese.

Or, my personal fave, and no good for parties, is the Jackie O. - sour cream and caviar.

staceym

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2012, 04:20:28 PM »

OP - I think all of your toppings are great - but I second this one from jpcher - especially if the peppers are hot or banana peppers - nothing I like better topping my potatoes or meat is sauteed mushrooms with some sort of hot peppers. 

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2012, 04:34:05 PM »

Someone here said they like baked beans on baked potatoes before. I had never heard of such a thing. Itís so so good! ! !

...and EHellion, wherever you are ... thank you for that suggestion.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem