Author Topic: Two stories of holiday kindness  (Read 1747 times)

CakeBeret

Two stories of holiday kindness
« on: December 03, 2012, 02:52:50 PM »
The first story is something really small, but it made my day.

I was walking towards a store, about 5-6 paces behind a man. The man opened the door and went into the store, and then (I suppose) saw me from the corner of his eye. He went back and held the door open for me, and then apologized for not seeing me the first time! Such a simple but sweet gesture.

The second one made me tear up on my way to work this morning.

A local radio station does a Christmas charity sort of thing every year. They accept letters from people who do not qualify for traditional charities, but need some help for the holiday season. People who barely make ends meet and can't afford to get their kids Christmas gifts, or their car broke down and they're worried about losing their jobs, things like that. The radio team researches the potential recipients and then reads one letter on the air each morning. People call in to donate money, items, or services--a person might donate $20, or offer to repair the person's car for free, or occasionally offer a job. It's always very heartwarming and is one of my favorite parts of Christmas season.

Today's letter was from a young man who's a single dad. He stated how blessed he was to have his kids, and that he was lucky to have a job, although he had recently taken a major pay cut. He said that he was barely making ends meet, and would not be able to buy his kids Christmas gifts.

Someone called in and gave the radio station enough money to cover the man's rent for December plus $500 for Christmas presents. The caller asked to remain anonymous, but said he just wanted to make a family's life a little brighter. I was blown away by this one person's generosity. Someday I hope that I can be that person. :)
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

CakeEater

Re: Two stories of holiday kindness
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 11:15:11 PM »
Two lovely stories! Nice to read this today.  :)

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 09:09:10 PM »
I also have two stories of giving. Not necessarily holiday related, but Random Act of Kindness specialness.
Both tales are longish, so please bear with me.

Story 1: Our city is in an economic boom, which is good, but has a downside. It means that the cost of living is rising and many people struggle to afford housing.

Jay is a middle aged man who is currently living in a men's shelter. I don't know his past, but he doesn't seem to have had an easy life. He has some limitations which make it difficult for him to hold a conventional job. He does not drive and our city has no transit system.

Jay's sole source of income is newspaper delivery. He delivers 3 routes, so about 350 newspapers. Since he doesn't drive, he must make numerous trips to and from the newspaper depot to load up his wagon to make his rounds. He earns about $125 per week.
Bear in mind that Jay does all this in the middle of a Canadian prairie winter. He tries so hard to do a good job even though it's obviously a struggle for him.

Jay's wagon was on it's last legs - or wheels as it were - and clearly, he could not afford a replacement.
One of the other carriers noticed this and asked if it would be alright he he bought Jay a replacement. It was a wonderful surprise!  :) :) :)

Jay's new wagon is a heavy-duty landscaping wagon with big fat tires that can handle the icy sidewalks with ease. It's also bigger, so Jay has to return to the depot less often. It has cut Jay's delivery time in half.
If that random act of generousity weren't enough, Jay's delivery recipients recognize his efforts. This holiday season he has received gifts of cash and some very generous gift cards. Possibly for the first time in his life, he is being recognized for his hard work and his efforts to improve his life.

Maybe it's because I know Jay somewhat, but that someone would do this for him, and that the homeowners should be so generous has moved me very much.

The second story, well, it happened to me (us, my husband and I)

Mr. Dragon and I have been thinking for some time that we would like to travel to Scotland and explore Mr. Dragon's heritage.
We tried to arrange it a couple of times, but circumstances interevened.
However, we have finally made all the arrangements and will be overseas next summer. Even better, it works out that we will celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary while in Scotland.

As part of our plans, we realized we needed some new luggage, as ours was worn out.
After shopping around, we found what we wanted at our local Bentley store.
The staff was very helpful and knowledgable. As the items we wanted weren't in stock, we ordered them.

This week, the store called to let us know the luggage was in, and today I stopped in to pick it up.

The same staff member from before assisted me and said "You were looking for bags for a trip to Scotland, right?"

When I confirmed that this was the case, she asked if I still wanted the items and I said yes, very much so.

As I went to ring out, she said "Oh, we have something else for you."

The "something else" was a box and written on the outside was a "Happy 25th Anniversary" message from the store staff.
Inside the box was a beautiful commemorative 25th Anniversary photo album!! :o :o

My first thought was that it was a Bentley promo and the album would have some sort of branding on it.
It was not. The staff had gone to another store in the mall and purchased the album as a gift to us.
Their sole request was that I come back with it full of pictures and show them!

I asked if I should pose the luggage for them and they said no, they see lots of luggage, they just want to see Scotland!  :D

I was gobsmacked, and nearly cried!
Not only will I bring the pictures, but I will be writing a letter to corporate praising them to the moon!
Not sure if the store has a rating site, but it too will receive 10000 stars!

POF

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 10:18:23 PM »
We were in Boston today at Faneuil Hall. Actually not too crowded - but you sit at communal tables wherever you can.  We were busy woofing down our lunch and I noticed a woman, sitting quietly at the end of the table. We did not have enough chairs for us to sit and so DH and I were sitting and the boys were standing. The lady pointed out some chairs open at the other table and joked with the boys when they didn't move fast enough to snag them.

I wasn't paying much attention, but then I noticed she didn't have a coat and she seemed hungry and sad. She wasn't begging just sitting quietly .  As we left - I asked her if I could treat her to lunch and gave her a $20.00  She was very happy, told us she was hungry for lunch and shook hands with all of us.  I felst so sad with everyone eating and being with friends and she was there by herself. 

trailgrrl

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 12:39:52 AM »
One of my FB friends lives in the City.  She came out of a higher end market to see a homeless man sitting on the sidewalk with his face pressed against the wall.  She gave him a five and he dropped it on the ground, cried  and hugged her for several seconds.  He told her his father had died last new year and this was a very hard time of year for him emotionally outside of his other issues.

He just needed some human contact to acknowledge that he was here.  The money was secondary, had she not stepped on it, the five would have blown away.

This person is not naive, she has lived in the city  a long time and is well aware that many of those begging for cash may a) not really be in need or b) looking for enough for a fix.   This person for some reason moved her to act.

She has suffered a major loss in the past few years, and was powerfully affected by this exchange.