Author Topic: New Neighbor: Peeping Tammy  (Read 22911 times)

25wishes

Re: New Neighbor: Peeping Tammy
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2012, 09:36:03 AM »
how about mp3 headphones while he is working out? If it persists, I might consider videoing her from the balcony.

BarensMom

« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2012, 10:10:03 AM »
I think moving your shoji screen to her side is a very good idea.  To soften the sound of her voice, DH could wear earplugs.  Otherwise, he could say, "Please don't distract me during my workouts - I could injure myself.  My evil twin would say, "and if I'm startled, I could lose control of a weight and it would go flying (in her direction)."

Do you hear her when she calls out to your DH?  Perhaps when you hear her, you could go outside and just look at her like she's the most pitiful thing on earth. Then shake your head, kiss your DH, and go back inside.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2012, 11:28:11 AM »
Please don't flame me totally, but is it totally out of line to say to her, 'Do you realize how creepy you are being?  This is totally inappropriate and you are acting like a stalker.  Please stop.' 

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2012, 11:33:29 AM »
Please don't flame me totally, but is it totally out of line to say to her, 'Do you realize how creepy you are being?  This is totally inappropriate and you are acting like a stalker.  Please stop.'

Not OP or her DH, but I wouldn't use stalker, only because people like that would just laugh it off and saying he's being too serious. But I'd definitely say the rest of it.

Vita brevis, ars longa

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2012, 11:33:42 AM »

I think this is valid.  I have personally done this, and it is awkward, but it has worked for me.  The "stalker" ends up feeling sheepish, which he (in this case she) should. 

MrTango

« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2012, 11:45:34 AM »

Not OP or her DH, but I wouldn't use stalker, only because people like that would just laugh it off and saying he's being too serious. But I'd definitely say the rest of it.

Maybe change "stalker" to "creep"?

Tabby Uprising

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2012, 11:51:01 AM »
The only additional advice I have pertains to your shoji screen.  If I were DH, I would have it on hand on the balcony before my work out.  When the neighbor starts angling for his attention he can stop, glare at her pointedly and then set up the screen.  I think that would send a very strong and direct message. 

Good luck!

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2012, 11:53:51 AM »
The only additional advice I have pertains to your shoji screen.  If I were DH, I would have it on hand on the balcony before my work out.  When the neighbor starts angling for his attention he can stop, glare at her pointedly and then set up the screen.  I think that would send a very strong and direct message. 

Good luck!

I'm sorry, but that's not direct, that's Passive Aggressive. Direct is saying "Stop! Don't bother me again.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2012, 11:58:48 AM »

Good luck!

I'm sorry, but that's not direct, that's Passive Aggressive. Direct is saying "Stop! Don't bother me again.

THEN if they persist in "calling" out to someone else from their balcony - put up the screen. 
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Tabby Uprising

« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2012, 11:59:39 AM »

Good luck!

I don't see it as passive aggressive.  I don't want you looking at me and I'm putting up something to keep you from staring.  Nothing wrong with outright saying "stop looking at me" as well. He can do both. 

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2012, 12:09:49 PM »

Good luck!

I don't see it as passive aggressive.  I don't want you looking at me and I'm putting up something to keep you from staring.  Nothing wrong with outright saying "stop looking at me" as well. He can do both.

The reason I don't think this is passive aggressive is because there are other neighbors and other balcony's.  Yes she is harassing OP's DH with her cat calls but I bet the noise is disturbing other tenant's quiet enjoyment of their balcony's too. Calling out from one terrace to another is nothing short of obnoxious.  Right now its just her being obnoxious and rude to the whole side of the building.  If OP's husband starts shouting back responses, even if they are "stop it" responses, he is contributing to annoying all the neighbors.  If he silently indicates the screen and puts it up, he is communicating via body language "this is because of you and me wanting to block you out" without making noise that might disturb others.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2012, 12:41:41 PM »
Wow, she's taking obvious to an entirely new level, isn't she?  I'm 47 and would never consider wearing something that tacky even for DH's enjoyment!

OP, you've gotten some good advice here.  I'm going to POD that your DH needs to clearly tell her that her attentions are unwanted.

whiskeytangofoxtrot

« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2012, 12:44:10 PM »
I'm in agreement that the building management should be notified, along with a direct confrontation- from both of you at the same time. If she wants nothing to do with you, then it sounds like being present during his workouts might help, too.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2012, 12:57:37 PM »
ewww, how creepy.

I think her age is not relevant (only the fact that she is considerably older than your dh). i think that the outfit she wore is not relevant (whether it is or isn't appropriate for women over X years to dress like that). references to her "hormonal irrationality" suggested by Calypso are also irrelevant.

the fact is she is making the moves on a married man, she is being extremely disrespectful of a married couple, and - seriously? cat calling and wolf whistling? sorry, btu that is very very very wrong.

I agree with PPs who say that you (dh) needs to tell her to stop, now. and then you need to take this up the chain. document document because you never know when/how crazy she will get.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

LeveeWoman

« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2012, 01:05:52 PM »
ewww, how creepy.

I think her age is not relevant (only the fact that she is considerably older than your dh). i think that the outfit she wore is not relevant (whether it is or isn't appropriate for women over X years to dress like that). references to her "hormonal irrationality" suggested by Calypso are also irrelevant.

the fact is she is making the moves on a married man, she is being extremely disrespectful of a married couple, and - seriously? cat calling and wolf whistling? sorry, btu that is very very very wrong.

I agree with PPs who say that you (dh) needs to tell her to stop, now. and then you need to take this up the chain. document document because you never know when/how crazy she will get.

Other than the age issue, her attire IS relevant because it showed she was trying to come on to him.