Author Topic: Posting for updates - please don't!  (Read 4816 times)

Fleur

Re: Posting for updates - please don't!
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2012, 02:18:06 PM »
I would guess not.

I'm not asking just for the "methods that best serve Morrigan", though.

If you'll actually read what I wrote, Willy, others also have the same complaints as me.  Read the thread linked that someone posted.  Same complaints.

Why are you so offended that I offered another suggestion?

I don't know about WN, but I think it is rude to tell others what they should post, which despite your protestations, is what you are doing. Unless you are a mod 'suggesting' is not appropriate.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2012, 02:31:52 PM »
WN, fair enough.  Would you be willing to compromise, then?

(Editing to say "then" instead of "though" - it fit better when I reread it)

Well the thing is, I've never actully posted a "posting for updates" myself, I merely appreciate the process, so I'm not sure how I can participate in the compromise, except I guess to say, yes I agre its more enjoyable when the request comes with a bit more to read on the overall topic.

???

So you're being argumentative just for the sake of being argumentative?  If you don't do it, then how does my suggestion even apply to you?

Hint?  It doesn't.   ;)

Wow.  That's really snarky.  For someone making suggestions on how to post on an etiquette board that pretty outrageous.

Your suggestion/ this thread applies to me because as I - and several others - have posted I like the posts for updates.  They alert the OP there is continued interest in a thread.  I also see them as encouraging the conversation to continue - sometimes a poster wants to comment but won't because a thread has been sitting dormant.  If there have been several bumps for updates, other posters will feel more comfortable adding their piece as it keeps the thread alive.

SoCalVal

« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2012, 02:36:02 PM »
Wow, I have to say I never would've thought this would be such a heated issue.

There are several things I come across in the forum that are annoying; they just aren't worth worrying about for more than a moment.  Do I like receiving a notification of a new post only to learn it's just someone posting for updates?  No, but I just click out of the thread and move on.  I could see how someone posting for an update in an old thread would help the OP.  I know there are 2-3 threads I've started that I always meant to update.  I figure if someone were still interested in an update, the person would ask.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2012, 02:36:27 PM »

Well the thing is, I've never actully posted a "posting for updates" myself, I merely appreciate the process, so I'm not sure how I can participate in the compromise, except I guess to say, yes I agre its more enjoyable when the request comes with a bit more to read on the overall topic.

???

So you're being argumentative just for the sake of being argumentative?  If you don't do it, then how does my suggestion even apply to you?

Hint?  It doesn't.   ;)

Wow.  That's really snarky.  For someone making suggestions on how to post on an etiquette board that pretty outrageous.

Your suggestion/ this thread applies to me because as I - and several others - have posted I like the posts for updates.  They alert the OP there is continued interest in a thread.  I also see them as encouraging the conversation to continue - sometimes a poster wants to comment but won't because a thread has been sitting dormant.  If there have been several bumps for updates, other posters will feel more comfortable adding their piece as it keeps the thread alive.

I will disagree with that. The more "posting for updates" posts in a row in a thread, the less likely I will be to post in it because it feels like the thread has been derailed and I feel like if I post on topic it is as if I am changing the subject.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2012, 02:51:32 PM »
sourwolf, unfortunately, the computer doesn't allow me to use the Quote feature.  It's a problem that occurred after one of the updates to the software that I told the mods/EHellDame about.  However, it appears that it's not something that can be fixed for now.  I can use it on my phone, but not on the computer.  Go figure!

You are correct, however, in saying that I should have included the full name of the person I was referencing.  I've updated my post to do that.  Thanks!

CaptainObvious

« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2012, 02:53:24 PM »

???

Hint?  It doesn't.   ;)

I will disagree with that. The more "posting for updates" posts in a row in a thread, the less likely I will be to post in it because it feels like the thread has been derailed and I feel like if I post on topic it is as if I am changing the subject.

To me, when I see the "posting for updates" start up, it tells me the thread is dead and I no longer check it.

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2012, 03:26:59 PM »
Do stop squabbling like children.  It isn't appreciated.