Author Topic: I don't want to perform with you... Update post 18  (Read 6063 times)

Mikayla

Re: I don't want to perform with you...
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 04:24:20 PM »
I, too, like doodlemoor's response.  There's no need for you to start down the road of interpretation of the song, because there's an inherent "I'm right and you're not" mindset when you do this.

When 2 voices don't blend, you don't have a duet, and it's not an aspersion on either vocalist. 

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 04:40:44 PM »
Do you feel you would be compromising your love of this work and your own style by participating in this duet?   I think that while there is time, let them know you won't be participating.  I like Doodlemor's idea that you suggest it would be better performed as a solo by the other singer.  Personally, I cannot imagine that person objecting, especially since they surely can see it isn't working and also want to give their best performance. 

I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 04:45:21 PM »
It would not be a SS to say "I have been praying about this for a few days...but I just don't think I can perform this song in a way that meets your vision for it.  As you know, I am used to singing it in a more classical style and I think that the contemporary interpretation you are looking for is intriging, but not best supported by me. Again, I am sorry, but our voices are just not blending on this so I am going to have to step down."

You are not saying your way is right, but that you can't do what she wants to accomplish.

MrTango

Re: I don't want to perform with you... Update in post 18.
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 11:09:56 PM »
OP here with a good news update:

First of all, thanks for all your responses.

I talked with the other singer this evening at our rehearsal and let her know that I didn't think our styles would mesh well and that it would probably work better if she sang it as a solo or as a duet with someone else with a similar musical style.

She apparently took it well, and when LadyTango was chatting with her after rehearsal, she seemed to appreciate that I felt comfortable relating my concerns.

I noticed as LadyTango and I were leaving that the other singer was talking with another member of her choir about the piece.  I hope they have fun with it.

I'll sing the piece as a solo after the "midnight" Mass on Christmas eve.

For anyone who might have been wondering, the piece is "O Holy Night."
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 11:11:50 PM by MrTango »

Oh Joy

Re: I don't want to perform with you... Update post 18
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 09:11:16 AM »
So glad it worked out...you're out of this disastrous duet and still get to perform it once solo.

I'd guessed that was the piece.  Certainly one that requires skill and would require a very artistic collaboration to sing in two different styles (it's not Haley Mills and Haley Mills singing Let's Get Together in Parent Trap).

Best wishes for a joyous holiday season.

O'Dell

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2012, 11:21:31 AM »

I talked with the other singer this evening at our rehearsal and let her know that I didn't think our styles would mesh well and that it would probably work better if she sang it as a solo or as a duet with someone else with a similar musical style.

She apparently took it well, and when LadyTango was chatting with her after rehearsal, she seemed to appreciate that I felt comfortable relating my concerns.

I noticed as LadyTango and I were leaving that the other singer was talking with another member of her choir about the piece.  I hope they have fun with it.

That bolded bit is something we should all keep in mind in situations like this. And it sounds like you handled the situation very tactfully. I'm glad there was a good outcome. :)
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2012, 06:04:12 PM »
How did I know it was O Holy Night?  While there are many songs I can see done in a duet with two contrasting styles, that one would be a hard one to pull off with both a traditional classical style and a pop style all in one.  I'm a classical style singer myself and I know I would have felt uncomfortable singing that piece with a partner who was "pop".  It would make me feel very conscious of the different styles and it could be very distracting to sing and hear. 

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2012, 06:42:40 PM »
How did I know it was O Holy Night? While there are many songs I can see done in a duet with two contrasting styles, that one would be a hard one to pull off with both a traditional classical style and a pop style all in one.  I'm a classical style singer myself and I know I would have felt uncomfortable singing that piece with a partner who was "pop".  It would make me feel very conscious of the different styles and it could be very distracting to sing and hear.

Because a lot of people sing it.  :D It's a nice song, which is why it's so popular.

Vita brevis, ars longa

citadelle

• fully functional & aesthetically pleasing
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 09:43:12 PM »
Glad to hear you will get to sing it too, OP. It is a fave of mine, especially when done by Andy Williams. I am sure you will sound divine.  :)

sweetonsno

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2012, 02:55:02 AM »
I'm so glad it went well. It sounds like you were both very gracious. I think that particular song lends itself well to different interpretation, but the classic is my favorite.

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2012, 11:35:53 AM »
How did I know it was O Holy Night?

Because a lot of people sing it.  :D It's a nice song, which is why it's so popular.

Yep!  Exactly.  And I think a lot of people feel very moved by it and it holds a lot of personal meaning for people.  But it is also one song that don't do too well as a duet with different styles for each soloist. 

BeagleMommy

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2012, 03:01:51 PM »
Ah, I also knew it was "O Holy Night".  Glad to hear everything worked out, Mr. Tango.  It's one of my favorites to perform as well.  I also prefer it done in a more classical way.

floridamom

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2012, 03:46:27 PM »

I also thought it might have been "O Holy Night".  One of my favorites.  I glad it worked it out.  I also am traditional regarding the hymn.  I would love to hear you perform it:)