A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Place Names That Sound Funny to Others.

<< < (26/26)

cwm:

--- Quote from: Danika on May 30, 2013, 06:30:19 PM ---
--- Quote from: cwm on May 30, 2013, 03:31:53 PM ---
--- Quote from: Melle on April 24, 2013, 12:58:16 PM ---You don't even want to know how my English teacher pronounced Arkansas ;)

--- End quote ---

Was it ar-KAN-zis? Like...our Kansas? Because being from Kansas, it's hard to explain to people why the Arkansas River and the state of Arkansas are prounounced differently.

--- End quote ---

Are they pronounced differently in Kansas? Here in Colorado, we pronounce the Arkansas River and the state the same: r can sah

--- End quote ---

That's how the state is pronounced, but in Kansas, the river is the our-Kansas river.

Julia Mercer:
Dilldo Run Provincial Park in Newfoundland Canada, enough said!

Julia Mercer:
There should only be one l in the name, but it got starred out when I tried before.

Elfmama:
One I ran across on a map of Pennsylvania: Loyalsock.  I don't know about you, but my socks show no shred of loyalty, or they wouldn't go AWOL so often!

cwm:

--- Quote from: Elfmama on August 07, 2013, 12:20:54 PM ---One I ran across on a map of Pennsylvania: Loyalsock.  I don't know about you, but my socks show no shred of loyalty, or they wouldn't go AWOL so often!

--- End quote ---

It's like they just grew feet and walked away on their own...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version