A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Place Names That Sound Funny to Others.

<< < (2/26) > >>

Danika:
I'm not sure if the filter is going to let this one pass. Let's try. In Littleton, Colorado, there's a "Donkey Hill."

And when we were looking for houses, I found a beautiful one on Prairie Goat Way and I said I didn't want to live there because I didn't want to have to try to explain that street name every time I gave my address.

ETA: the filter did, in fact, change it. It's Jack *something* Hill.

Slartibartfast:
Arab, Alabama.  Pronounced AY-rab.  Also Muscle Shoals, which indeed does have a lot of mussels but apparently not a lot of people who know the difference between "muscle" and "mussel."  (To be fair, the etymology is in dispute, but I think the misspelling origin is more plausible than "I guess the river looks a bit like a bicep.")

Rohanna:
Just across the border from me is a place called "Temperance River", named so because it is the only river along that stretch of the Lake without a "sand bar" at it's mouth.

Yeh, sorry.  ::)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperance_River_State_Park

cabbageweevil:

--- Quote from: mrs_deb on December 04, 2012, 05:41:34 PM ---Sometimes in the summer I attend concerts at a venue on Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg in Massachusetts.

--- End quote ---
Is that the one which means, in the original language, "You fish on that side, I'll fish on this side, and nobody will fish in the middle"?  Or maybe someone was being fanciful there !

diesel_darlin:
Frog Level, VA.

Climax, NC.

Withlacoochee river in FL.

After reading Slarti's post, Sweet Home Alabama popped in my head. ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version