A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Place Names That Sound Funny to Others.

<< < (13/26) > >>

dawnfire:

--- Quote from: oz diva on December 17, 2012, 06:17:22 AM ---
--- Quote from: Iris on December 16, 2012, 03:37:36 PM ---
--- Quote from: CakeEater on December 08, 2012, 07:13:18 AM ---I used to live in Biloela, Australia. Funny hearing people trying to pronounce it. The locals say 'Bill-o-wheel-a', but you would never be able to guess that from the spelling.

--- End quote ---

Then you would be familiar with the town of Banana. Great name. I used to have family there.

My all time favourite naughty sounding place name is Watanobbi on the Central Coast of NSW. It won the "most unfortunate place name in Australia" competition.

Lots of other great names in this article if you are interested

--- End quote ---
And then there's Yorkey's Knob in Cairns.

I've always had a soft spot for Mt Buggery and Mt Disappointment.

--- End quote ---

I used to live at the base of  Mt Disappointment :) 

Bethczar:

--- Quote from: dawnfire on December 19, 2012, 11:48:41 PM ---
--- Quote from: CakeEater on December 08, 2012, 07:13:18 AM ---I used to live in Biloela, Australia. Funny hearing people trying to pronounce it. The locals say 'Bill-o-wheel-a', but you would never be able to guess that from the spelling.

--- End quote ---

Then you would be familiar with the town of Banana. Great name. I used to have family there.

My all time favourite naughty sounding place name is Watanobbi on the Central Coast of NSW. It won the "most unfortunate place name in Australia" competition.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
You can only go up from there!  ;D

Danika:

--- Quote from: Bethczar on December 20, 2012, 04:23:43 PM ---
--- Quote from: dawnfire on December 19, 2012, 11:48:41 PM ---I used to live at the base of  Mt Disappointment :)

--- End quote ---
You can only go up from there!  ;D

--- End quote ---

I know!  ;D It sounded like a clever way to say "The guy I was dating was a jerk and our relationship was lousy" or "I kept getting overlooked for that promotion at work."

Julian:

--- Quote from: dawnfire on December 19, 2012, 11:48:41 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Mt Mee near Brisbane used to get a lot of snickers when mentioned on an interstate biker forum - well, at least from the non-local crowd.  The local riders all knew where it was, and what a great bike road it was.   

chibichan:
Fom my travels in Australia ( so long ago , but so many great memories ! )

Monkey Mia in Western Australia . And on the way there , branching off Shark Bay Road was this little gem :

Useless Loop Road .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version