A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Place Names That Sound Funny to Others.

<< < (16/26) > >>

Sharnita:
That reminds me, as a history teacher a lot of people are confused by Appomattoc Courthouse.

kajunchick:
I live in Louisiana, and we have Iowa, pronounced I-o-way and Forked Island, pronounced for-ked, not forkt. Also, Natchitoches (nack-i-dish).

gmatoy:
In Washington state, we have Walla Walla; there are even books written using Walla Walla in the title.  :)

And Wapato, which means "potato."

Elfmama:

--- Quote from: Sharnita on January 14, 2013, 02:19:07 PM ---That reminds me, as a history teacher a lot of people are confused by Appomattoc Courthouse.

--- End quote ---
That one got me until we went through the historical site there last summer.  After all, if you read in your history books that General Robert E. Lee surrendered to General Ulysses Grant at Appomattox Courthouse, you expect that it's the courthouse building in Appomattox, right? 

Nope.  It's a little village named Appomattox Courthouse!

One of my favorite British placenames is Nether Wallop.   

Piratelvr1121:

--- Quote from: WillyNilly on December 12, 2012, 10:09:36 AM ---There is a small town in New Hampshire called "Dummer".  The larger town next to it, Milan, used to sell t-shirts "The people in Milan might not be smart, but the next town over is Dummer"  ;D

I never thought much about my town's name until The Simpson's made fun of it.  They were visiting NYC and Homer had to pee and a bus drove by, its front sign saying it was headed to Flushing Meadows.  He imagined a large field full of toilets. (I actually just live in Flushing, not Flushing Meadows, but same point.)

--- End quote ---

I have an uncle from Flushing! :) I'll admit the name always gave me a giggle when I first heard it (in my defense I was 14!). 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version