A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Place Names That Sound Funny to Others.

<< < (19/26) > >>

marcel:
For the following you have to know that beer is spelled "bier"in Dutch.

In the north of the country, there is a small village called "sexbierum"

Last_Dance:
In Northern Italy there's a river called "Member." Consequently, there are several towns known as "X on the Member."

One of such towns is called "Vergate" (Cane blows). 

Piratelvr1121:
When we lived off base in Oceanside, Ca, we lived on a street named Calle Las Positas.  Once I was told that Positas meant raisins, all I could see were the California Raisins dancing down our street outside the complex gate.

cabbageweevil:
Austria seems to be rich in communities whose names are comical to English-speakers.

There are Windpassing, Rottenegg, Rottenmann, Mutters, and Natters.

And just on the Austrian side of the border with Germany, there is the village with the name which is the English vulgar two-syllable word (think rhymingly, broncos) for what eHell calls "playing scrabble".  I understand that the local council wishes to change the village's name, just because it's such a pain that English-speaking visitors keep stealing as trophies, the "You are entering [village name]" signs.

There's a town in Austria which rather amuses me -- name "Bad Hall": a personal thing here, my surname being Hall.

cabbageweevil:

--- Quote from: Snowy Owl on March 10, 2013, 11:00:03 AM ---
The village of Piddle in Worcestershire was the first one I thought of.  Most amusingly a local brewery markets a beer called "Piddle in the Hole" after that village. 

Other amusing ones are Upper Slaughter and Lower Slaughter in Gloucestershire.  Interestingly despite the name, Upper Slaughter is one of the few places that had no combat fatalities in either world war.  Given the death rates in WW1 in particular that's pretty unusual.

--- End quote ---

Late on this one, but have just seen it -- context WW1 (WW2 was overall less lethal re the countries concerned) -- I understand that there are in all of Great Britain, just a couple of dozen villages, all of the men from which who went to the First World War, survived it. They are known as "Thankful villages", or "Luck parishes".

France suffered considerably worse losses in WW1, than did Britain: I have read that there is just one village in all of France, whose menfolk all survived that war.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version