Author Topic: Place Names That Sound Funny to Others.  (Read 15132 times)

menley

Re: Place Names That Sound Funny to Others.
« Reply #120 on: May 27, 2013, 03:50:27 AM »

Posting, though feeling a little apprehensive about being told off for coming across as more sexist than humorous: that excellent and beneficent British voluntary undertaking the Women's Institute, has a branch in pretty well every community in the UK.  Standard practice for referring to a particular branch is, "The [name of community] Women's Institute."  However, the ladies of the village of Ugley, Essex (as mentioned by Dawse), and those of the village of Loose, in Kent; got special dispensation to call their units of the organisation: "The Women's Institute, [name of community] Branch."

Snort!! That is fabulous.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #121 on: May 27, 2013, 05:29:35 AM »

Posting, though feeling a little apprehensive about being told off for coming across as more sexist than humorous: that excellent and beneficent British voluntary undertaking the Women's Institute, has a branch in pretty well every community in the UK.  Standard practice for referring to a particular branch is, "The [name of community] Women's Institute."  However, the ladies of the village of Ugley, Essex (as mentioned by Dawse), and those of the village of Loose, in Kent; got special dispensation to call their units of the organisation: "The Women's Institute, [name of community] Branch."

Snort!! That is fabulous.

Ironically, Ugley is a really pretty village!
NE England

cabbageweevil

« Reply #122 on: May 28, 2013, 04:32:37 AM »
Whence, one might recall Dylan Thomas's describing his native city of Swansea as "a lovely, ugly town". (If you're a poet, you can come out with such things, and carry them off OK.)

cwm

« Reply #123 on: May 30, 2013, 03:31:53 PM »
You don't even want to know how my English teacher pronounced Arkansas ;)

Was it ar-KAN-zis? Like...our Kansas? Because being from Kansas, it's hard to explain to people why the Arkansas River and the state of Arkansas are prounounced differently.

In KC, there's a street called Knickerbocker Place. I always giggled when we passed that.

Also, Marais des Cygnes, pronounced mur-ay duh zeen. Except much faster, so it usually comes out m'ray d'zeen.

In my neck of the woods, there's also towns called Peculiar and Humansville.

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #124 on: May 30, 2013, 06:30:19 PM »

Was it ar-KAN-zis? Like...our Kansas? Because being from Kansas, it's hard to explain to people why the Arkansas River and the state of Arkansas are prounounced differently.

Are they pronounced differently in Kansas? Here in Colorado, we pronounce the Arkansas River and the state the same: r can sah

cwm

« Reply #125 on: May 31, 2013, 09:39:10 AM »

Are they pronounced differently in Kansas? Here in Colorado, we pronounce the Arkansas River and the state the same: r can sah

That's how the state is pronounced, but in Kansas, the river is the our-Kansas river.

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #126 on: August 06, 2013, 11:33:34 PM »
Dilldo Run Provincial Park in Newfoundland Canada, enough said!

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #127 on: August 06, 2013, 11:34:45 PM »
There should only be one l in the name, but it got starred out when I tried before.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #128 on: August 07, 2013, 12:20:54 PM »
One I ran across on a map of Pennsylvania: Loyalsock.  I don't know about you, but my socks show no shred of loyalty, or they wouldn't go AWOL so often!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

cwm

« Reply #129 on: August 07, 2013, 12:25:15 PM »
One I ran across on a map of Pennsylvania: Loyalsock.  I don't know about you, but my socks show no shred of loyalty, or they wouldn't go AWOL so often!

It's like they just grew feet and walked away on their own...