General Etiquette > Family and Children

Question about gifting event tickets.

(1/10) > >>

SiotehCat:
My DS wants to attend a football game for his favorite college football team. Its going to be 6 hours away from "home" and I wont be able to accompany him. It is also at the end of December. I have two options for this.

Option #1-  DS would love for his dad to go with him and I know that his dad would love to go. He doesn't get to spend much time with his dad because of how far away we live. However, this is right in the middle of the holidays and his dad does have a wife and step kids. Is it reasonable to ask him to accompany DS? Can I ask him to pay for his own ticket?

Option #2- My brother would probably very much like to join DS. Its also his favorite team and where he went to college. In this case, I would be paying for both tickets. This has the potential to really hurt his dads feelings though.

I don't know how to go about this. Advice?

Moray:
Is there any reason why you can't call your son's father and ask him? Just say "Hey, I was thinking about this gift for DS; would you be interested in getting a ticket and going with him, or should I arrange for him to go with his uncle?"

NyaChan:
 I'm sorry, I can't remember how old your son is.  If he is old enough that it wouldn't be hard for him to hear that his dad can't go, I would have your son ask his dad to take him & then you offer to cover your son's ticket if you think it appropriate to offer.  If he is not old enough to handle that, I would call his father, explain that your son wants to see the game and that you know he'd love to see it with his dad.  Then ask if he thinks that'll be possible & offer to cover the cost of your son's ticket. 

lowspark:
Can you give his dad the right of first refusal? Just tell him that you want to give your son a ticket, that you figure dad might want to go with him which would be ok with you, as long as he pays his own way, and that if he doesn't want to or can't go, then you'll arrange for your brother to go.

This gives Dad the option without forcing either situation on him.

SiotehCat:

--- Quote from: Moray on December 04, 2012, 04:39:43 PM ---Is there any reason why you can't call your son's father and ask him? Just say "Hey, I was thinking about this gift for DS; would you be interested in getting a ticket and going with him, or should I arrange for him to go with his uncle?"

--- End quote ---

I have to be careful how I say it to him. If he can't/won't go, he might also decide that he doesn't want DS to go because it is interfering with their time together. Then he would guilt DS into also not wanting to go.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version