Author Topic: Please Don't Kick My Dog...  (Read 12833 times)

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
Re: Please Don't Kick My Dog...
« Reply #120 on: December 07, 2012, 04:37:38 AM »
I did get a great laugh out of the posts that suggested that a woman in her 60ís is elderly and feeble. I canít wait to call my 61 year old, athletic mother with the news. Iíll call the Retirement Home and reserve my parents a room.  ;D

I don't care to keep hashing the discussion which I think has been pretty adequately addressed already from multiple angles.  I just wanted to point out that the woman was described as 'kicking feebly' so I think the description of the woman derives more from that than a genuine belief that all 60 year olds are feeble.

I agree that that is where some of that is coming from.  However, a person over 60, whether they are athletic or not is at greater risk from complications of a fall than someone who is 30 or 40.

And on this board it is repeatedly pointed out that even healthy looking people can have hidden disabilities.  So, someone who looks perfectly fine jogging out on a track or taking a walk, may for various reasons be unable to handle a large dog jumping up on them.

A person's fear may stem more from the possible harm done that way than any fear of the dog being mean and being bitten.

Just because a dog's intention are to play doesn't make it any easier for someone to handle them if they have physical issues.

Gyburc

« Reply #121 on: December 07, 2012, 06:11:35 AM »
I didn't intend to say anything more, but I think I missed something in my previous post.

I *don't* believe the OP can have been noticeably rude because of the way the other lady reacted. The OP said that she seemed 'mollified'. Her response ('Just keep that beast away') doesn't sound particularly friendly, but it also doesn't sound like the response of someone outraged.

I would also add that I think the OP was right to ask the other woman not to make kicking moves, and in fact that is quite valuable advice to give to someone who is afraid of dogs - i.e. don't make sudden and odd movements that might alarm the dog or attract its attention.

I'm not unsympathetic to the other woman - as I said, I'm wary around dogs myself and like to keep a good distance from them unless I know them well. But the way she reacted was both odd and counter-productive, and I think it's a good thing that the OP spoke to her about it.

When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

LadyL

« Reply #122 on: December 07, 2012, 08:50:50 AM »
In what world can some jerk threaten a pet and be excused for their reprehensible behavior by, "Oh, it's okay. She was scared.". Really? Daring to blame the pet owner for protecting her pet? That sounds suspiciously like victim-blaming. Yes, the OP and her dog were threatened.

When people threaten to kick a dog or anyone or any thing for that matter, they usually move towards the object to kick it not away from.  The dog was nowhere near her.

But the dogs intent was to try and get closer to her.  Her actions were to try and get away from him.

The dog was the aggressor here.  Just because his intentions were friendly and hers were fearful doesn't make his aggression any less of a threat to her.

I disagree. The dog was a perceived aggressor. In reality he was just doing his dog thing, wagging his tail and walking. Compare that to kicking - kicking is aggressive. I'm not saying the woman was a credible threat, but she was "protecting" herself in a way that actually invites harm.

I think the OP should, like all dog owners, keep good control of her dog. The phobic woman should find ways to handle her fear that actually communicate that fact (if it's the truth) and keep her safe rather than potentially invite confrontation.

It is just not socially acceptable to make aggressive  gestures at strangers, whether you're a dog or a human.

ClaireC79

« Reply #123 on: December 07, 2012, 10:23:40 AM »
You said she stepped back before making a 'kicking motion' - is it possible that when stepping back she trod on something and the 'kick' was her shaking it off?  (and before anyone says she would have said that she wasn't kicking at the dog - if someone with a big dog started telling me off (whether it was warrented or not) I wouldn't defend myself because I'd be scared)

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #124 on: December 07, 2012, 10:34:12 AM »
It looks like everything useful that can be said has been said already and the discussion is being reduced to nitpicking over minor details.

Thread closed.