Author Topic: My Kindle is Dum, so what should he wear?  (Read 1012 times)

Dark Annie

My Kindle is Dum, so what should he wear?
« on: December 04, 2012, 06:07:23 PM »
For Christmas, my mum and I decided to give each other Kindles, which lead to my boyfriend calling them "Twindles". The name stuck and, as such, mum's Kindle 5 is known as "Tweedledee" and my Kindle Touch is known as "Tweedledum"  :)

Anyway, the point of the post is, I am in love with my Kindle, but before I take him out of the box I want to get him a protective case and a light (as I read a lot and am long-sighted). However, I've heard that some of the cases and lights can scratch the actual Kindles themselves. Also, given that I'm currently using a walking stick and unable to leave the house due to a recent knee repair, I'm probably going to have to order a case and light online. Which leads me to you, e-hell. What brand cases and lights would you recommend for Kindle Touch? Price is not so much of an issue as long as it works.

A lot of sites recommend the Kandle II as a light, saying that it provides excellent coverage and doesn't scratch. Has anyone had experience with it? I also heard that the Octovo Solis isn't too bad, although it's sold out everywhere For covers, I just want a brand that won't fall apart, won't scratch and will provide good protection in a hand bag! Is it worth waiting for the Amazon light cover or are the generic ones on ebay just as good?

Any advice is good advice so post away!

Judah

• California, U.S.A
Re: My Kindle is Dum, so what should he wear?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 06:22:30 PM »
I use the Kandle and love it.  For a cover I use a neoprene sleeve like this one.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 06:22:36 PM »
This is the one I have: http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Lighted-Leather-Cover-Keyboard/dp/B003DZ165W

I'm not sure how a screen could get scratched by one of these.
Words mean things.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 06:31:27 PM »
I'm confused!  Isn't the Kindle backlit?  Why would it need a light?

Maggie

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 06:38:06 PM »
This is the one I have: http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Lighted-Leather-Cover-Keyboard/dp/B003DZ165W

I have this also and the light is attached to the cover so it can't scratch it.

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 06:44:10 PM »
I have this light in black and love it: http://www.amazon.com/Verso-Clip-On-Reading-Kindle-Graphite/dp/B003FZA1OW/ref=sr_1_1?s=fiona-hardware&ie=UTF8&qid=1354664480&sr=1-1

I also have a neoprene cover, but don't like it for my purse.  I have a friend with a leather cover that swears by it.

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 06:54:13 PM »
The stripper model Kindle (the $69 e-ink version) is not backlit, so you do need a light, just as you would with a book. But unless you're planning to take it camping or something, the same light (e.g., reading lamp on the end table) that you'd use for a regular book should be sufficient to illuminate your Kindle reading.

For cases, google "Acase."
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

SheltieMom

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 07:45:15 PM »
I've bought products from this company:
http://www.pexagontech.com/Custom-Amazon-Kindle-Cases/View-all-products.html

Their products are absolutely guaranteed, and personalization is free.
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

buvezdevin

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 10:03:41 PM »

I have this also and the light is attached to the cover so it can't scratch it.

I have that cover also, and love it.  It is my second Kindle cover, I originally had a separate cover and attachable light, but found ikept fiddling with the light, didn't want to go without a cover... So wound up getting this one tor replace my first choices and much prefer this one.

While the following is not a reason I chose this cover, an unexpected plus is that if I fall asleep while reading (as I read in bed, not an infrequent occurrence) - the light integrated into the cover shuts off when the Kindle goes to "sleep" after a number of minutes of no page turns, or other actions.  An un-looked for bonus.
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 08:41:09 AM »
"Dum" needs an Alice in Wonderland cover, of course!

Or possibly one with a big hat......
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 11:24:54 AM »

I have that too for my Kindle keyboard but the light doesn't work anymore cause my middle child wanted to find out how it works.  It happened so quick too, I just put it down to get something and when I came back, he'd broken the top metal piece that slides into the side.  I still use it to protect the Kindle and will someday get myself a new one.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 11:27:31 AM »
FYI Coach is having sale until 2pm EST today of 30% off and they have some really lovely leather cases.  I have no idea about them specifically but generally Coach leather products are pretty good.