Author Topic: s/o syrup reserve - what brand do you like?  (Read 722 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: s/o syrup reserve - what brand do you like?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 11:42:31 AM »
My boyfriend received a bottle of maple syrup as a holiday gift last winter and we're still trying to finish it, as we don't eat pancakes or french toast too often.  It's tasty, but I love butter so I like the flavor of butter AND syrup on my breakfast.  For that reason, I also have a bottle of Eggo Waffle Extra Butter flavor syrup.  I know it's 'fake' but I like the taste of that, too.

We don't have pancakes or French toast much either.  Over the years, we've come to prefer butter and a good jam instead of syrup on these dishes. 

I also prefer jam to sugar in hot cereal.  Good steel-cut oats with apricot or blackberry jam is my idea of bliss.  Believe me, this breakfast does not smell like poverty.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 11:43:47 AM »
For the Canadians on board with access to the Loblaws chain of supermarkets, their PC brand with the fancy flip top bottle, is pretty good.  I've bought that in a pinch when I've run out and can't get to my parents for more.

If you are going to buy maple syrup for the table, buy it in glass bottles.  That way, you can see the colour and clarity and whether or not there is any sediment in the bottom.  If you are only using it for cooking, it isn't as crucial but be careful pouring when you get to the bottom of the container if you can't see through it.  It shouldn't have sediment but that doesn't mean it won't.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 05:44:58 PM »
I prefer REAL maple syrup, not "table" syrup or that fake tasting stuff either