Author Topic: Grabbing the check  (Read 1714 times)

CreteGirl

Grabbing the check
« on: December 04, 2012, 10:04:55 PM »
I made a blunder today, and I'm not sure what I could have done differently once I realized it.

An out of town client came for a visit today, and after doing some work, we went out to lunch, along with several of my staff and one of his staff who had accompanied him.  When we go out for lunch, this client typically pays, as he considers us an extension of his staff.   

Today I thought it would be a nice idea to pick up the check for a change.  I quietly asked the server that I be given the check.  When the check arrived, I quickly gave my credit card.  The client did not see this, and after the server walked away with my card, the client asked if anyone wanted dessert (something we typically do not get).  It was at that point I realized he meant the lunch to be a special holiday lunch, but the server had already walked away with my credit card. 

When the client realized I had paid, he said he was disappointed that he did not get to treat us to lunch.   I could tell that it really bothered him.  I told him it was my pleasure to treat him for a change.  But I felt terrible, because I did not mean to get in the way of his good intentions.

Was there anything I could have done at that point, or was it just too late?  Should I speak to him about it, or just drop it?

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Re: Grabbing the check
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 10:21:44 PM »
I'd probably send him a note saying that you still feel bad about messing up his plans, but you enjoyed visiting with him and you hope he has a nice holiday.

But I'm just suprised about a client picking up the tab.

CreteGirl

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 10:27:20 PM »
I'd probably send him a note saying that you still feel bad about messing up his plans, but you enjoyed visiting with him and you hope he has a nice holiday.

But I'm just suprised about a client picking up the tab.

Yes, it is unusual, which is another reason I wanted to pay.  This client has said that he considers us part of his staff, so that is why he typically pays.

buvezdevin

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 12:37:47 AM »
Not knowing the business and working relationship first hand, do you think he might be soothed if you sent a holiday greeting and specifically mentioned that as part of his "extended team" you wanted to express your appreciation of his embracing you and your colleagues as part of his supporting players,  picked up the check in gratitude, and to reciprocate some part of his frequent generosity?
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain