Poll

Can you tell the difference?

Nope, not even a bit
10 (22.2%)
Absolutely
20 (44.4%)
Somewhat, but not enough to justify buying a B-R and paying the extra for the movies
13 (28.9%)
No, but like to buy the Blu-Rays for the extra special features.
2 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: Blu-Ray vs DVD  (Read 1001 times)

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
Re: Blu-Ray vs DVD
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 04:55:16 PM »
I can see a clear difference and I don't like Blu-Ray as much.

But that may be due to the LED screen it is playing on. I loath LED TVs. Somehow my brain refuses to process images from an LED screen. They look blurry and awful and give me headaches. But everyone else says they look pretty. <sigh>
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 09:11:56 PM »
When we had a CRT TV, the answer would have been "no," because the CRT doesn't have the resolution for Blu-Ray; the image gets down-scaled to DVD quality. Now that I've got an HD TV, I certainly can see the difference.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 02:58:38 PM »
The other issue that most people don't have to worry about where Blu-Ray works out better than DVD is scaling.  If you have an enormous TV you'll see a big difference between them, and the same goes for a projector, so if you have those things you should consider it.  Well, if you have those things you probably have a Blu-Ray player already, and probably one for your yacht as well, but still, there's that.

Also of note, those with DVRs should check to see if there's a setting to record HD at lower resolution, because some DVRs will downscale like that and it helps with space issues.

Virg

magicdomino

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 03:10:17 PM »
No, but I can't tell the difference between HD channels and regular channels either.  In fact, the difference between CRT and LCD TV's didn't seem enough to make buying a LCD model worthwhile until the analog CRT became obsolete.

I could tell the difference between a rabbit ear antenna and a roof-top antenna, though.   :)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 03:13:05 PM »
Also of note, those with DVRs should check to see if there's a setting to record HD at lower resolution, because some DVRs will downscale like that and it helps with space issues.

Hmmmm... Off to peruse my DVR menus tonight and see if I can find that!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

CakeBeret

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 03:33:50 PM »
I can't tell a difference, but I'm no TV aficionado. As long as I can see the screen and it's not fuzzy, I'm happy. I have a techy friend who just can't believe that I really am happier with a low-end bigger TV than a super-awesome high-end small TV.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."