A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Holiday Menu 2012

<< < (2/8) > >>

Shalamar:
I have a daughter who's a vegan and another who's a vegetarian, and my husband and I are omnivores, so Christmas is always a bit of a challenge.  :)  I think we're going to do what we usually do:

- Turkey and stuffing for my husband and me (I could make vegetarian stuffing, but my kids don't like stuffing at all, so I won't worry about it)
- Vegan gravy (which is darned tasty)
- Tofurky roast for the girls
- Mashed spuds
- Cornbread pudding (I've never made this, so it should be interesting!)
- Brussels sprouts
- Cranberry sauce
- Rolls and butter or Earth Balance margarine
- Lots of wine
- and, for dessert, I'm going to try something new - either vegan Buche de Noel or vegan Sticky Toffee Pudding (the post above that mentioned Sticky Toffee Pudding got me drooling)

baritone108:
We usually have prime rib for Christmas Eve and lasagna for Christmas Day.  This year DH and I will be alone for Christmas eve so we're going to split a prime rib steak and have salmon, also.  We'll have a tossed salad, spaetzle with gravy, corn and asparagus.

For Christmas breakfast we usually have a variation of Hanky Pankys, made with swiss & mozzarela cheese, black olives, bacon & mayo.  We typically put it on party rye but this year I'm going to try spreading it on crescent rolls before rolling & baking them.  Going to try it with the traditional hanky panky mix, too.

My other holiday season favorite is a large cup of coffee with Bailey's Irish Cream in it.  I have a cup most evenings for about 10 days or so.

siamesecat2965:
It's just my mom and I now, and we are very non-traditional!  she also usually leaves the cooking to me as she doesn't like to!  We did have pork roast for a couple of years on Christmas, but i'm not really a fan of it, so last yearI made beef rouladen, spatzle and gravy, and some red cabbage.

This year mom has it in her head she wants a beef tenderloin with merlot and shallot reduction. I've nver made it, so it will be interesting to see how it comes out.  Not sure what we'll have with it, but i think some sort of potato and some veggies.

readingchick:
It's pretty much the same as Thanksgiving in the readingchick family....turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, noodles, dressing, gravy, the infamous green bean casserole, pumpkin pie, and whatever else strikes people's fancy. The only difference is there's a wide variety of premeal munchies (cheeseball with crackers, marzipan, peanut butter fudge, soda cracker fudge, and other things) at Christmas while for Thanksgiving the only premeal munchies are cheeseball and crackers.

ladyknight1:
We traditionally do appetizers for Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve (just the three of us and a friend or two) so:
Baked Brie en croute
Fruit, cheese, crackers
Skewers: grape tomatoes, pearl mozzarella, basil; chicken with vegetables; steak and mushroom; shrimp
Shrimp cocktail
Mini hot dogs in pastry
Mini hot dogs in homemade barbecue sauce
A fun dessert
Sparkling wine and fruit juice for DS

For Christmas day, I usually make a breakfast casserole the night before that can just be heated while we open presents together and play with our toys.  :D

Christmas dinner always includes a spiral ham with a homemade glaze, but this year we are also doing a fried turkey. Some sort of potatoes, corn souffle, green beans with mushroom sauce topped with crispy onions, sweet potato souffle with streusel topping. We did two Bundt cakes last year, Apple Cider (right) and German Chocolate.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version