Author Topic: Holiday Menu 2012  (Read 2002 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: Holiday Menu 2012
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2012, 11:10:29 AM »
Since it's just the two of us, and we roasted a bird for Thanksgiving, we prefer a small beef roast for Christmas.  It will be served with popovers, gravy and assorted vegetables. 

Because Mr. Thipu loves taboullah and because it is a food that may have been eaten at the time of the first Christmas, we have that for Christmas breakfast. 

In my German heritage, pork should be eaten on New Year's Day.  We'll have pork medallions with a fruit sauce and root vegetables for New Year's Dinner. 

We're looking forward to our holiday meals. 

Anniissa

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2012, 11:55:32 AM »
It will be a fairly traditional English Christmas for me. Christmas Day will probably begin with scrambled eggs and smoked salmon on toast (or croissants for those who don't fancy eggs) and a glass or two of Bucks Fizz (champagne and orange juice). Christmas lunch is usually served around 2-2.30ish and will probably be turkey, pigs in blankets (cocktail sausages wrapped in streaky bacon and roasted in the over), roast potatoes, roast parsnips, mashed potato, mashed carrot and swede, brussel sprouts, some broccoli and other green veg, cranberry sauce and gravy. Dessert is usually Christmas pudding with brandy butter/custard or another option for those who don't like Christmas pud (maybe pavlova/something meringue-y). After all that food and the wine that accompanies it, there is usually a bit of a break for a walk or a snooze, before the cheese and port is brought out. Most people are too full for much in the evening so there is usually a lighter supper later in the evening (usually around 8.30ish) which is often nibbles - more cheese and crackers, mini chicken skewers, maybe some antipasti type bits in front of the christmas telly - just got to get everyone to agree on what to watch  ;)

Your day's menu sounds great.  I've never heard of champagne and OJ referred to as Buck's Fizz.  We always call them mimosas.

Thanks - its all pretty yummy but practically obligatory to eat large amounts of food and then try and find something a little more active on Boxing Day to help work it all off!

Yes, mimosas are the same thing. Typically, in the UK I think they are much more likely to be called Bucks Fizz but you might see them in some places referred to as mimosas. I think they sound far more exotic and tropical as mimosas!

As someone with mimosa trees in her front yard, I am much more preferring the Buck's Fiz and plan to call them that tomorrow at my tamale making party.

And I completely skipped over your description of pigs in a blanket.  For us, that usually refers to sausages wrapped in some type of pastry and then baked.  I absoutely love the idea of wrapping in bacon and then roasting.

Try them with bacon - they really are rather good (we always have to make plenty on Christmas day because people get disappointed if they only get one!). Another similar-ish thing, although usually eaten as a pre-dinner nibble is Devils on Horseback which is a date or prune (often stuffed with an almond or mango chutney) wrapped in bacon and roasted in the oven. Sounds a little strange but an interesting combination of sweet and savoury. Sometimes, instead of dried fruit, people wrap an oyster in bacon which is called Angels on Horseback. Can't say I've ever had those though.

magicdomino

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2012, 11:58:01 AM »
The last few years, I spent Christmas alone after getting together with the family on a previous weekend.  Christmas dinner would be something that I don't normally cook, and too expensive and/or exotic for the family.  The last couple of years were Peking Duck.  I'm thinking of doing Peking Duck again; I still haven't gotten the skin quite right.   :)

Girlie

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2012, 12:24:56 PM »
Taco feast. For us, that means:
 Lots of warm tortillas
Beans: refried and black
Meat: seasoned ground turkey or beef, chicken
Meat alternative: usually fake beef crumbles or Soyrizo, but i might do eggplant with chorizo seasoning this year
Vegetables: tomatoes, lettuce, onion, avocado
Other toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream, black bean and corn salsa, pico, red salsa and guacamole
Chips to pick up leftovers

Plus Christmas cookies galore, and usually coffee cake or Monkey bread for breakfast.

That settles it. I'll be spending Christmas with you and yours. ;)

My in-laws usually do the whole "Thanksgiving again" thing, but last year, my MIL made lasagne (with and without meat), and chicken parmesan. It was lovely, and I LOVE homemade chicken parm, so I'm hoping she'll go that way again.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2012, 04:20:48 PM »
We have 5 parties this week, beginning tomorrow evening. For that, I am making a kicking macaroni & cheese.

Treats I am baking, beginning Sunday:
Snickerdoodles
Layered Fudge (Dark chocolate, white chocolate, peanut butter, and milk chocolate with crushed pretzels on top)
Peppermint Bark
Peanut butter mousse cups
Chewy brownie cookies with pecans and dark chocolate chips
Oatmeal Lace cookies

snowflake

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2012, 06:52:36 PM »
On Christmas day I like to have clam chowder and salad.  The day itself is always so full of rich food, that I don't like having a feast.  Plus, the soup is nice and cozy. 

This year I'm also making white chocolate peppermint popcorn.  Very easy and so, so good.

I like the idea of having tamales for breakfast.  I might have to do that.  I've made breakfast enchiladas before and I might need to try breakfast tamales.

MrsCrazyPete

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2012, 09:50:46 PM »
We always go to my in-laws for Christmas Eve dinner. My MIL is German, so we always have beef rouladen, spaetzle with gravy and roasted veggies. Also tons of wine. Then stöllen and Black Forest cake.

Christmas Day breakfast is at my house, with my parents and siblings. I make baked egg casserole and cinnamon rolls. This year I'm thinking of switching the rolls for baked French toast. We also have fruit, hot chocolate, mimosas, cookies...pretty much whatever is available to munch on.

That afternoon we will go to DH's grandparent's house, where we have honey ham and lots of traditional sides. DH's grandpa makes old fashioned popcorn balls!

Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2012, 11:52:19 PM »
The main menu on Christmas dinner will be:

baked spiral cut ham
potato salad
baked butternut squash
sweet potatoes with maple syrup
green salad
applesauce
a big pot of beans
Maybe a big dish of ice cream for dessert.
various juices and tea
Any other good things that end up on the table. 

One time we had tostada's for Christmas dinner.  I loved it, loved it, but some one was disappointed, so we haven't done it since.   :(
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.