Author Topic: The End of the World?!?  (Read 2941 times)

gorplady

• “Put silk on a goat and it is still a goat”
    • PerfectDuluthDay
The End of the World?!?
« on: December 05, 2012, 12:27:43 PM »
I am hosting a party on December 21.

I sent out my invitations over a month ago and people RSVPd that they were coming. I've ordered the food from a local catering outfit and had to give final numbers last week.

Quite suddenly, I've started getting a few calls that people can't come because they want to be with their family that day. When I asked why, they said "It's the end of the world on that day."

Seriously?  :o >:(  What do I say to these people?

HonorH

Re: The End of the World?!?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 12:28:44 PM »
"No problem, I'll just drop by on the 22nd!"
William wondered why he always disliked people who said "no offense meant." Maybe it was because they found it easier to say "no offense meant" than actually to refrain from giving offense.

--Terry Pratchett, The Truth

AylaM

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 12:30:30 PM »
"Ok, we'll miss having you"?

My grandmother is religious and is always sure that whatever happens it is a sign of the apocalypse.

I see this as the same.  Nothing I say will change their mind.  If the world is still there on the 22nd, well then they missed a great party.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 12:32:08 PM »
Sure, good luck!  There isn't much to say.  People will believe what they want to believe.  What would you like to tell them? 

O'Dell

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 12:35:19 PM »
You scold them for not checking their "End of the World" calendars *before* RSVPing yes. :P

"Sorry you can't make it. Enjoy your time with your family."
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 12:40:31 PM »
I'd ask if they paid their rent/mortgage this month and if they are still going to work.  if they truly believe the world is ending, why pay bills or do un-fun stuff like work?  If they paid their bills and suffered through rush hour they don't truly believe the world is ending.

Ok maybe that's just argumentative but seriously, I have no idea how to respond to such an absurd thing if its said seriously.

http://fan-tas-tic.com/2012-world-mayan-calendar/

Allyson

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 12:43:19 PM »
You could change the theme to an apocalypse party for those who are still coming!

In all seriousness, if you look at this like any other reason to not attend it's still rude. This wasn't something they were previously unaware of, presumably, so they should not have RSVP'd yes. I wonder if they'll apologise to you when the world doesn't end.

Witty Username Goes Here

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 12:44:11 PM »
I am hosting a party on December 21.

I sent out my invitations over a month ago and people RSVPd that they were coming. I've ordered the food from a local catering outfit and had to give final numbers last week.

Quite suddenly, I've started getting a few calls that people can't come because they want to be with their family that day. When I asked why, they said "It's the end of the world on that day."

Seriously?  :o >:(  What do I say to these people?

Woah.  That's pretty crummy of your friends!  Can you call the catering company and ask if there would be a fee for changing to the 20th, and tell your friends to come then instead?  And that's incredibly rude to RSVP they would be coming, then cancel because the world is ending that day.  I think I would give them the cut direct.

BarensMom

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 12:44:31 PM »
"That's too bad, we have food and supplies for # people prepared and barricaded from the zombie horde.  I guess I'll give away your spot."   >:D

shivering

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 12:45:00 PM »
I forgot about those Mayans! I guess we're going to start hearing more about this again since the date is getting so close.

All you can say is "We'll miss you. Thanks for letting me know" and be glad that you're on the phone so that you don't have to control the eye rolling. Perfectly sane people sometimes get nuts about these kind of things and there is no reasoning with the crazy.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 12:48:15 PM »
'Well, wouldn't you rather go out with a hell of a party?  We can drink ourselves silly while Rome burns.'

OK, maybe not.

I wouldn't let them get completely away with it, though, by saying it is OK.  It's not OK - they have cost you additional expense by doing this after you have given final numbers to the caterer!  In fact, I'd want to say something to that effect but I'm not sure it would be polite.

Three weeks out seems like a long lead time.  Could you try calling the caterers and see if you can change your numbers?

I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 12:49:59 PM »
Wow!

I want an update on the 22nd to let us know how wonderful your party was without the fruitcakes.

And I will be interested to see how many show up that have now declined.

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 01:20:59 PM »
The best response given so far has been, "Ok, we'll miss having you".

Subject adequately dealt with.