General Etiquette > Family and Children

Not The Original Plan! *Small Update P. 17*

<< < (2/7) > >>

bah12:
Well, I think that CS has the obligation to explain to the neighbor's daughter that she didn't have the authority to make that arrangement in the first place.  But, I also understand that now you are in the position to say something.  I'd go with the truth:

"Neighbor's daughter, I appreciate your willingness to help us watch DD a couple of days a week.  Unfortunately, that arrangement was made by our previous nanny who didn't have the authority to hire someone else and we had to let her go.  Our needs are for someone who is available every day of the week and who can drive DD to and from school and her activities.  I'll be hiring someone who is able to accommodate that need fully.  I'm sorry for the confusion and hope your understand. If I ever need help during the weekends or another time I will let you know/keep you in mind (whatever you want to say here). "

donnamos2:
Eden:

I was told that her rate was justified by the fact that she had taken a Red Cross course in first aid, including CPR.  Good to know that the teenager is so prepared.

Peregrine:
If it were me, I would absolutely couch the discussion with the teen and her parents in the terms that you need someone with a drivers license and a car.  I would also mention that you will keep the teen in mind for future weekend of nighttime babysitting jobs, even if you don't really need to use her regularly, a back up sitter can be useful at times.  Even if you needed her to act as a mother's helper to keep an eye on baby while you are doing other work around the house.

We have run into a similar conundrum with our next door neighbor teen and pre-teen who want to babysit for us.  Since my parents live in the area, they get first call on the babysitting.  I am also not comfortable with a 14 and 11 year old babysitting for my pre-verbal child.  I have let them know that I don't need anyone at present, but that if I ever need someone to play with the baby while I am doing house-work or summer canning I will have them over.

Bluenomi:
Since CS hired the teenager, she can fire her too! Why should OP have to do it when it was done without her knowing? OP had already told CS that since her new class hours weren't going to work so she'd be out of a job before CS told her about teenager.

Judah:

--- Quote from: bah12 on December 05, 2012, 05:25:02 PM ---"Neighbor's daughter, I appreciate your willingness to help us watch DD a couple of days a week.  Unfortunately, that arrangement was made by our previous nanny who didn't have the authority to hire someone else and we had to let her go.  Our needs are for someone who is available every day of the week and who can drive DD to and from school and her activities.  I'll be hiring someone who is able to accommodate that need fully.  I'm sorry for the confusion and hope your understand. If I ever need help during the weekends or another time I will let you know/keep you in mind (whatever you want to say here). "

--- End quote ---

I like this wording if you would actually be willing to hire the teenager if she could meet the requirements. If you wouldn't be willing to hire her, don't make it sound like you would. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version