Author Topic: What's a noogie between friends? No, really. . .  (Read 3934 times)

sweetonsno

What's a noogie between friends? No, really. . .
« on: December 06, 2012, 05:34:47 AM »
So I regularly attend an event weekly and am friends with several of the other regulars. Most people who come in are in the 40+ range, but a few of us are younger (30's). Recently, a younger guy has been coming in with his friends. We're friendly and we always greet one another with a hug (upon arrival and parting).

But today, he (mid-20's) gave me a (gentle) noogie when he walked past. I'm a bit baffled at this turn of events. I did not grow up in a noogie-giving family or neighborhood, so I don't really know the Law of the Noogie. Basically, is there noogie etiquette? Why was I noogied and what was the appropriate/desired response?

Enlighten me, eHellions, if you please.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
Re: What's a noogie between friends? No, really. . .
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 05:44:27 AM »
I had to look up what a "noogie" was.

It sounds painful and I would have told him to back off and never touch me again, as I really hate things like that.

It depends whether you minded/it hurt you or not.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 08:04:32 AM by RingTailedLemur »

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 06:41:28 AM »
In my experience, a gentle noogie (not the one that causes pain) is done among close friends/siblings/etc. as a silly way of saying hello. Kind of like fist bumps and hand signs (or pigtail-tugging for the younger set). Some people might noogie him back or simply laugh and shrug it off.

If you don't want this, ducking away from him or pushing his hand away would be the first option. If he doesn't clue in that you are not a 'noogie' kind of gal, a friendly "Hey Bud, cut that out!" might work.

If he can't take no for an answer, that's another problem entirely. :(
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 07:20:08 AM »
In my family it was always a playful show of affection, like tickling.  One of my dad's cousins did it to everyone and thus was dubbed "The Noogie Man" and when he'd show up my cousins and I would squeal "The Noogie Man!" and run, inviting him to give chase. 

It never hurt, and was just fun, but I wouldn't appreciate a noogie that did hurt.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

LeveeWoman

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 08:01:13 AM »
I give noogies to my son but they're soft and mainly involve mussing his hair a bit.
But, I would never give one to someone with whom I was not a close friend.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 08:19:40 AM »
My experience is a gentle boogie is a sign of affection and would indicate he felt very comfortable around you.  If you don't like it, duck away and say with a smile Don't.

MrTango

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 10:03:35 AM »
OP: Is he single?

If so, I'd consider the possibility that he's interested in you and that the noogie (as opposed to the usual hug) might be his way of "testing the water" to see how you respond.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 10:17:42 AM »

If so, I'd consider the possibility that he's interested in you and that the noogie (as opposed to the usual hug) might be his way of "testing the water" to see how you respond.

This is what I was thinking too.  A gentle noogie from a guy to a girl seems kinda flirtatious to me.  Is he cute?  :)

Xandraea

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 10:19:30 AM »

This is what I was thinking too.  A gentle noogie from a guy to a girl seems kinda flirtatious to me.  Is he cute?  :)

I'm with MrTango and Shoo .. sounds like the guy may be interested in you.

O'Dell

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 10:23:35 AM »
You'll know for sure if he likes you when he slugs you in the arm at recess. :P

I agree with others...a gentle noogie shows affection.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

doodlemor

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 12:25:28 PM »
You'll know for sure if he likes you when he slugs you in the arm at recess. :P

I agree with others...a gentle noogie shows affection.

You really made me laugh, O'Dell! 

POD to you and the others.

DavidH

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 12:29:29 PM »
I would say it's meant to be friendly and likely flirty.  If it bothers you, I'd approach it as I know you meant no harm, but that bothered me, please don't do it again. 

Coley

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 01:09:28 PM »
POD to the PPs who suggest it's flirtatious behavior. That was my first thought as well.

magician5

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 02:50:57 PM »
Basically, is there noogie etiquette? Why was I noogied and what was the appropriate/desired response?

Enlighten me, eHellions, if you please.

I feel like asking what actually is your response? I mean your honest, first-reaction unvarnished response?

It is probably meant in a friendly "buddies" way, but if you don't like it, simply ask that it not happen anymore.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

floridamom

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 03:58:11 PM »

I'm thinking the same thing as well.  He is testing the waters by flirting this way ;) ;D  As O'Dell said a gentle noogie is a sign of affection