Author Topic: Birthday ninja  (Read 4269 times)

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
Birthday ninja
« on: December 06, 2012, 08:49:58 AM »
So it's my birthday today - huzzah! DP is coming up to take me to lunch (double huzzah! It'll be the first time she's driven, alone, to come see me!) I'm feeling awesome, my phone is buzzing like crazy from Facebook wishes, all is well... except that apparently NO ONE I work with knows. Now, if this was a 'no celebrations' office (I've worked for lots of those) I would totally understand - but it's not, there have been BIG celebrations for some people since I've been here, and I've worked for the same boss for 4 years, you'd think at least he would know by now.

It's not a big thing - I mean, for Pete's sake, I'm a grown up, birthdays aren't supposed to be a big deal. I'm just... miffed that no one seems to know. Is it appropriate to say anything to anyone?

DaDancingPsych

Re: Birthday ninja
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 08:56:55 AM »
Well, if these celebrations are being "sponsored" by the company, then they need to ensure that everyone's birthday is on the calendar and being celebrated.

If these celebrations are being organized by the employees (and simply fine with the company), then how is anyone supposed to know it's your birthday? I think you could take two routes of action. Let it slip that it is your birthday. It would have worked better a few days beforehand to drop it into conversation, but you could mention it today. Your coworkers could throw something together, assuming that they even pick up on the hint (which hinting is often not the best route.)

Or you could have planned the celebration yourself. Bring in a treat to share with everyone. There may still be time, as you could drop by a local bakery during your break and return with some cookies. This will let your coworkers know it's your birthday and hopefully they will include yours in the future.

Celebrating birthday's in the office can be a funny thing. Some people just don't want it to be mentioned. Your coworkers might have assumed that was the case with you being that you never brought it up.

Oh... Happy Birthday!!!

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 09:34:55 AM »
Go pick up some cupcakes on the way back from lunch and then tell everyone to stop by for one.

Amava

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 09:42:31 AM »
I agree, the best way to bring your birthday to people's attention, is to let them share in your joy by treating them.

And now here's hoping that they are civilised people so that your next post is not about one gimme pig who took three cupcakes when there was only one for each...  ;D

Happy birthday, Rebecca! Have a good one!

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 10:36:59 AM »
Thanks, guys - I did mention it in my staff meeting this morning (boss slipped and said 'let's call it a day' when he meant 'let's end the meeting early' and I thanked him for the 'birthday gift'. LOL)

I'm looking forward to lunch - I may even stop at the bakery on the way back. I have literally never left for lunch since I've lived in GA, so this is a very rare and special treat!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 11:33:28 AM »
Happy Birthday to a fellow Sagittarius!  Mine is Sat :)

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 12:58:48 PM »
perhaps DP could bring flowers or balloons?  To live at your area for the day?

Mmmm...baked goods!  This thread is so happy, it makes me smile!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

EmmaJ.

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 01:22:14 PM »
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday dear Rebecca,
Happy birthday to yoooo-oooooou!

;D

25wishes

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 01:36:37 PM »
how do you know they aren't planning an end-of-the-day surprise party for you?

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 02:42:25 PM »
LOL, I am 99.999% sure because that is just *not done* around here - end of day for our folks can be anywhere from 4pm-7pm, so it's generally accepted that group things take place 11am-2pm to avoid awkwardness. Also, my boss wouldn't think of something like that. He's a former engineer, and what they used to call "a man's man" - he doesn't do emotions or sensitive things well. His secretary at our pre-merger company did this stuff when we were separate companies, but since the merger he has no secretary, and so mentioning it might be the only thing he does.

I did have a **LOVELY** lunch. :-) No time for the bakery, though - had a meeting right after lunch, and barely squeaked in for it.

DaDancingPsych

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 03:28:15 PM »
Glad you had a lovely lunch!!! You could still bring in treats tomorrow... just say, "I was so busy yesterday." This is completely optional and I am only suggesting it in the hopes that you are one of my coworkers and I want a cookie!!!  =)

But seriously, glad that you managed to find a way to celebrate!

NotTheNarcissist

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 11:32:46 PM »
Where my husband worked, they would forget his birthday but not others. It always hurt him. And it was confusing too since they remembered early on in his employment, then later forgot.

oogyda

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 09:37:13 AM »
Thanks, guys - I did mention it in my staff meeting this morning (boss slipped and said 'let's call it a day' when he meant 'let's end the meeting early' and I thanked him for the 'birthday gift'. LOL)

I'm confused.  What birthday gift? 

Or were you just being P/A? 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 09:39:46 AM »

The "gift" would be the rest of the day off, as the boss accidently said "let's call it a day" instead of 'let's end the meeting early' . The response does not sound P/A to me at all.

oogyda

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 09:50:55 AM »

The "gift" would be the rest of the day off, as the boss accidently said "let's call it a day" instead of 'let's end the meeting early' . 

Gotcha.
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.