Author Topic: Flash drive etiquette  (Read 4598 times)

Mark3785

Flash drive etiquette
« on: December 06, 2012, 10:01:06 AM »
What is the proper etiquette regarding flashdrives? When given a flash drive loaded with files for public consumption, do you copy the files and give back the drive or just keep the files and the drive?

Shoo

• Super Hero!
Re: Flash drive etiquette
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 10:19:44 AM »
You copy the files to your own device and give the drive back to the owner, I believe.  That's what I would do.

MrTango

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 10:21:11 AM »
Unless told otherwise, I would assume the intent was for me to copy the files to my computer and return the flash drive to its owner.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 10:25:31 AM »
I copy the files and offer the flash drive back.  Flash drives aren't free.  There is also the trouble of copying all the danged files to a replacement flash drive if someone keeps your original one......

That said - I have given away a SMALL flash drive (256mb) because I had a newer 2gb flash drive to replace it - but I had also planned to leave the smaller one with the person (small batch of files that they might need to use another time) and made sure that I had copied anything that I might need another time to my computer (and wiped the drive of anything else that might have been on it).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

DavidH

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 10:52:01 AM »
If the offer is, here are some files you may need, then you copy the files and return the drive with the files still on it as well. 

If the offer is, here is a flash drive with the files you may need, then you can keep the drive, but just to be sure, I'd still ask if they wanted the drive returned. 

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 10:59:56 AM »
If the offer is, here are some files you may need, then you copy the files and return the drive with the files still on it as well. 

If the offer is, here is a flash drive with the files you may need, then you can keep the drive, but just to be sure, I'd still ask if they wanted the drive returned. 

POD here - sometimes it's more trouble than its worth to the sender to get the thing back - I get them occasionally from coworkers in other offices, since it's easier and larger capacity than a CD.

MrTango

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 12:08:41 PM »
And of course: Always practice safe file-sharing.  Make sure your AV program completes a scan of the flash drive before you copy any files from it...

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 03:41:07 PM »
What is the proper etiquette regarding flashdrives? When given a flash drive loaded with files for public consumption, do you copy the files and give back the drive or just keep the files and the drive?

Please please please give it back if at all possible! I've lost probably five flash drives at my current job because of people who ascribe to the latter theory. They're pretty cheap now, but it's still annoying to not have one handy when you need one.

I mean, it's ok to keep it for the length of your presentation or whatever. But not forever and ever.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 07:21:28 PM »

I would give it back unless specifically told not to.

Mark3785

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 11:51:19 PM »
Thanks, all! I was having a discussion with a friend who expressed some surprise when I asked for a flash drive back. Normally I buy a bunch of cheapies so I don't mind if I don't get one back, but this was a high capacity USB 3.0 drive that I just bought. She had no problem returning the drive but insinuated that either I was making up rules as I went along, or that this was some obscure bit of 'geek etiquette' that normal people don't know about. I'll forward a link to this page to her as proof that it's common knowledge.

I feel vindicated! :-)

Thanks again,
Mark

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 11:59:08 PM »
Perhaps a flash drive engraved with your name and cell phone number - possibly painted an odd color - is in order.  Isn't there a geek store or something that would make one or three.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

sweetonsno

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 05:21:31 AM »
I agree with everyone. . . unless you're specifically told to keep it, you should assume that it's a loan. (I also wouldn't mess with or delete the files from it.) I think a flash drive is kind of like a dish. If you bake your friend a pie and give it to her in a dish, she should assume that you want the dish back unless you specifically tell her to keep it. A burned CD is like a Ziplock bag or other disposable food storage container. If you bake her a pie in a single-use aluminum pie dish, then she should assume she can keep the dish.

Mark3785

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 09:46:14 AM »
I love the dish analogy, it's perfect!

sunnygirl

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2012, 02:18:04 AM »
Flash drives can be pretty expensive - I don't know why someone would feel entitled to keep an expensive piece of computer equipment belonging to someone else.

Mark3785

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 05:15:15 AM »
There are a lot of technologically oblivious people out there who just aren't aware that there's a difference between a cheap throwaway drive and an expensive. high capacity, USB 3.0 drive.