Author Topic: How to say that I won't be babysitting anymore.  (Read 8001 times)

Roe

• Super Hero!
Re: How to say that I won't be babysitting anymore.
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2012, 01:37:32 PM »
OP, it would be nice if you could give her some notice but it's not at all necessary to do so, after all, this is your health we are talking about.  And I have to point out again, she's aware of your pregnancy so I'm sure she set up another person in case of any changes.  Again, don't feel bad if you can't give her any notice.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2012, 01:43:05 PM »
OP, it would be nice if you could give her some notice but it's not at all necessary to do so, after all, this is your health we are talking about.  And I have to point out again, she's aware of your pregnancy so I'm sure she set up another person in case of any changes.  Again, don't feel bad if you can't give her any notice.

She's giving her three weeks' notice.

Emmy

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2012, 03:11:08 PM »
I'd go with 'Doctor's Orders'. 

'Hey, friend.  Just wanted to let you know I can't babysit anymore after this week.  The doctor told me I'm not to lift DD anymore and your little (guy/girl) weighs the same.'
this

the not-jadeing part would be if she starts "demanding" or asking or coming up "compromises"  that she thinks could work. if that happens (and here's hoping it won't), then you just need to lather-rinse-repeat. Smile, say sorry but I won't be able to baby sit after this week.

I think a brief explanation like doctor's orders or being tired is fine.  If friend gets pushy or tries to offer 'solutions' to get Jules to keep babysitting, then she should just say 'no', later, rinse, and repeat.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2012, 05:03:51 PM »
I think you should have given her more notice - surely you knew as you approached your delivery date that you wouldn't be able to help her anymore.  Still, tell her as soon as you can.  "Friend, I'm sorry for the short notice, but I can't babysit for you anymore after Xday.  With my pregnancy, I simply can't manage it and my doctor has also ordered me to be resting/not lifting."

Surely friend should have known that is was a possibility that she couldn't babysite close to her due date!
 I would tell her what NyaChan mentioned.  It is not JADEing when you give a simple explanation.  If she gives you a hard time just say "Sorry, I physically cannot do it anymore.  Did you get your Christmas cards out yet? "

kckgirl

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2012, 05:21:40 PM »
My I suggest getting a changing pad for the bed or sofa so you can change him in a seated position until the notice period is up?
Maryland

NotCinderell

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, 09:11:20 PM »
If it were me, I'd just say that I'm finding that with my pregnancy, I wasn't up to watching the two of them anymore.  Use doctor's orders, to be sure, but the fact of the matter is, it's perfectly reasonable for you not to be up to the task of baby-sitting when you're heavily pregnant.  If your friend doesn't understand, then she's not much of a friend.  If your friend is a true friend, she would feel terrible to know that you were exhausting yourself to care for her child.  Just tell her the truth, in a nice way.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 09:35:07 PM »
OP, how did your conversation with your friend go?

Jules1980

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2012, 01:42:02 PM »
Hey all, thanks for the replies.  Turns out I was worried for nothing.  I didn't get to sit down and talk to her last week, unfortunately.  Her house had a flu go around so she kept him home during it so not to spread it to me.  I just told her that I wasn't going to be able to pick him up or chase after him much longer and the safety of it bothered me.  She just laughed and said she figured January would be my limit and her back up babysitter was ready to take him everyday again. She just didn't want to take him until I said since I was nice enough to cover for them, she wanted me keep him as long as I wanted to.  So all went well.  I'll have him this week and then I'm off.