Author Topic: Any Grant Writers here?  (Read 414 times)

snowdragon

Any Grant Writers here?
« on: October 30, 2012, 02:20:46 PM »
I am taking a grant writing course. It has me literally in tears. The teacher is useless and the text no better.  The teacher has her favorites that she'll answer questions for, the rest of us she picks apart on minute details and refuses to really answer feigning confusion.

The issue right now is budgets and budget justifications. She wants the work load for the people working on my project divided into percentages of work. My project is the restoration of an observatory and the development of programming around it - three levels of classes for the general public, offered in three different ways. Adult only, kid only, and multigenerational classes. Same class material, just different class make up. There will also be a graduate level university class offered.

I am at a loss as to how to figure out how to work out percentages of how much anyone person will do for the entire project. The teacher just refers me to the text...which I don't understand in the first place.
  Between construction workers and educational consultants there will be over 200 people working on this project so do I just put a .05% for each person and be done with it? or is there a better way that the teacher should be telling me.

Dr. F.

Re: Any Grant Writers here?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 03:00:40 PM »
OK, this is how I would go about it, which may or may not be the way your Prof wants things done.

1. Calculate approximately how many hours will be needed for each task. How many hours to renovate the observatory? How many hours to develop classroom materials? How many hours prep time and teaching time? Add 25% for overruns.

2. Are you outsourcing some of the labor? (I certainly hope so!) You can include the contractees as single individuals, i.e. Observatory construction - 200 hours @ $11/hour to XYZ Construction Co. That way you don't have to worry about how many people the company may bring in to complete the job.

3. You can use the same trick for other groups, i.e., teaching multigenerational classes - 100 hours@ ?/hour by observatory volunteers.

4. Include people by name if you know that they will be contributing significantly and you know that they, personally, will be completing that work.

Not sure if that helped at all. You can't possibly name 200 people and predict exactly what each one will be doing for how many hours.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 03:28:30 PM »
what Dr F said. for the one office I do proposals for - we do a projection (proposals  that are pre project) and then reports (during/after) with itemized lists of what was actually spent. the sum of the proposal is often different from what was actually spent (which we also have to explain - eg., we projected 1000 $ for hotels but spent only 750, due to choosing cheaper hotel, or fluctuation in exchange rates etc).

for what you are describing, i wouldn't use 5% per person because a construction worker and teacher will be making different $ per hour (i assume). I would write a detail of what is being offered and what work needs to be done, and then for the budget would write something like:
20 teachers at university prof level, a10$ per hour, for total of 52 hours each, total  10040
20 teachers at HS level, at 5 $ per hour, for 52 hours each total 5200
stage one construction (remove moldy material, wall treatment, etc): 10,000
Stage two construction (add second story, flooring, add windows) : 15,000
Stage three construction (paint interior, floor treatment, cleaning): 8.000

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Susiqzer

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 05:52:32 PM »
I am taking a grant writing course. It has me literally in tears. The teacher is useless and the text no better.  The teacher has her favorites that she'll answer questions for, the rest of us she picks apart on minute details and refuses to really answer feigning confusion.

The issue right now is budgets and budget justifications. She wants the work load for the people working on my project divided into percentages of work. My project is the restoration of an observatory and the development of programming around it - three levels of classes for the general public, offered in three different ways. Adult only, kid only, and multigenerational classes. Same class material, just different class make up. There will also be a graduate level university class offered.

I am at a loss as to how to figure out how to work out percentages of how much anyone person will do for the entire project. The teacher just refers me to the text...which I don't understand in the first place.
  Between construction workers and educational consultants there will be over 200 people working on this project so do I just put a .05% for each person and be done with it? or is there a better way that the teacher should be telling me.

I'd do a hybrid of what was suggested for the budget and justification, to better describe the three levels of classes. (Helpful, especially when the research plan has strict page limits...)

For example:

Educational Consultants, Adult Only Classes (list % effort based on # of hours): Describe in detail what the individual(s) will do, how much time is required for the described tasks, their hourly rate, and how many individuals, are estimated to be filling the position.

Do the same for the child and multi-generational educational consultants.

To calculate percent effort, remember that a full-time person works 2080 hrs per year. So 1040 hrs would be 50% effort, 520 hrs would be 25%, etc.

snowdragon

Re: Any Grant Writers here? Update
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 09:09:10 PM »
Thank you for all your help - I got a "B" in the course